4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4th Gen vs 3rd Gen, My Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th Gen vs 3rd Gen, My Opinion

My 2007 Hemi QC (1500) is in the body shop due to hitting a deer.

I have a chance to rent a 2009 quad cab (no hemi). My impressions.

*Size: New 4th gen is a smaller truck. Sits lower to the ground and it looks like they chopped 3" from the roof. This no doubt offers better aerodynamics. While the truck is lower to the ground, the seating position is slightly higher relative to the floor. So they lowered the truck closer to the ground and chopped off some roof, but mounted the seat a bit higher. You can see over the dash like it is a car. The interior dimensions feel smaller, probably because roof is lower. Seems a bit narrower, but I cant verify that.

*Interior Layout: The new truck uses better materials, but the dash is more "car like", is rounded and not as bold. I like the 2007 layout better, but the 2009's materials are nicer. Truck doesnt add any features, just strangely relocates the controls for various things. Puts radio controls on steering wheel instead of cruise. Puts rear sliding window on overhead instead of center console. Stock radio looks much nicer than odd shaped 3rd gen radio, but not quite as nice as nav system in laramie trim installed in my truck.

*Ride: New truck rides better. May be because of coil springs, lighter weight, or because it is lower to the ground, but it does ride better. The 2007 rides nice, but bounces more over big bumps.

*Looks: I think the 3rd gen RAM wins hands down. The front is smaller, less bold. Overall design has a squarish look and trades the ram signature looks, the bulging lines, for something that looks a bit like a silverado. The squarish roof, while no doubt better in the wind tunnel, does not look as nice.

*Engine: Cant compare. This truck has the base engine. Feels strong, but does not have as much torque and shifts more frequently. Wouldnt want to tow anything big with this motor.

*Bed Size: Verified it is same size. Liftgate feels about half the weight.

Overall: A nice truck. Feels more modern, a bit smaller, nicer interior materials with more modern (chrome/black) design. Trades some of Ram's signature looks, front grille and roundness, for a more compact, probably more aerodynamic profile.

I wouldnt trade my 2007 for it because I dislike the smaller feeling inside, the lower ride height (and less headroom), and the looks do not inspire me. But if I didnt already have a truck I would consider it. Ride is nicer, but if truck was same height, it would probably be harder to tell apart. Not sure how I feel about a pickup having coils in rear.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:11 PM
tombogue09
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the looks of the 4th gen more than the 3rd gen, of course thats personal preference. However I agree with you on everything else, there is significantly less room in the cab.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Ironsides
Professional

Originally Posted by tombogue09
I like the looks of the 4th gen more than the 3rd gen, of course thats personal preference.
The 4th gen looks far better than the 3rd gen. The 3rd gen front fascia just didn't look natural.

Originally Posted by tombogue09
However I agree with you on everything else, there is significantly less room in the cab.
I've only driven a 3rd gen a handful of times, none of them recently, so I can't directly compare the room of the 2 trucks, but I'm 6'4", and I have plenty of room in my '09.

A lot of the reason I got an '09 was because of the true Crew Cab. The Quad Cab Rams always looked awkward to me, on the outside, with not nearly enough room on the inside.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ironsides
A lot of the reason I got an '09 was because of the true Crew Cab. The Quad Cab Rams always looked awkward to me, on the outside, with not nearly enough room on the inside.
X2, my 12 year old doesn't fit in the back of a quad cab comfortably.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
72combo
Champion

My 6 foot 18 year old fits nicely in my Crew Cab. So shortage of head room is not a problem nor leg or foot room. He has an Avenger and he says he feels more room in the back of the pickup!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 PM
BIGGS000
Rookie

I haven't driven the 3rd gen consistently for a couple years. My dad owned a 2002 or 2003 (the first year of the 3rd gen) and when I was home visiting that was the vehicle I drove. I can't remember the interior being that much bigger in the 3rd gen because I'm 6'5" and fit no problem. My dad, 6'2" with a taller upper body than me fit just fine in both 3rd and 4th gen.

I really like the look of the 4th gen not so much the 3rd though. I know my dad loves the new look. I do like the 2nd gen though.

I'd have to say one of my bigger complaints is that the center seat no longer has the double storage compartment. Just the part that folds down has it. I miss having the bottom of the seat open up to the nice big storage. Otherwise, from what I remember, I'm really happy with the 4th over the 3rd.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:30 AM
BIGGS000
Rookie

Also, the tailgate is over 100 lbs. I'm not sure how that compares to the 3rd gen, but that is a beefy tailgate.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Ironsides
Professional

Originally Posted by BIGGS000
I'd have to say one of my bigger complaints is that the center seat no longer has the double storage compartment. Just the part that folds down has it. I miss having the bottom of the seat open up to the nice big storage. Otherwise, from what I remember, I'm really happy with the 4th over the 3rd.
I have storage under my center seat. It's not huge, maybe 4-5 inches deep, about a foot wide, and 18 inches front to back.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:34 AM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran

The underseat center storage is probably the same as 3rd gen trucks. They didn't all have it. It was standard on Laramies and an optional seat upgrade on some models. Not sure what the correct name was for it on 3rd gens. It's probably included in the premium seat option on the 09 SLT's if you don't get the console.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 AM
BIGGS000
Rookie

Originally Posted by BubbaRadioNetwork
The underseat center storage is probably the same as 3rd gen trucks. They didn't all have it. It was standard on Laramies and an optional seat upgrade on some models. Not sure what the correct name was for it on 3rd gens. It's probably included in the premium seat option on the 09 SLT's if you don't get the console.
That really sucks. I have the SLT with the regular seats. That's very upsetting. Atleast I didn't get those really nice vented seats that I wanted since people seem to be having trouble with them. Still though, I wish I had known about the premium seats having the big storage bin.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen vs 3rd Gen, My Opinion