4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Invisible Mask..Anybody have any experience w/this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
huck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invisible Mask..Anybody have any experience w/this?

Hey all, I've been looking at getting this protective clear film and was wondering if anybody had any experience with it on your Ram or any other vehicles you've had. I'm not sure how well its going to work, if it'll fade or if its' going to leave any sticky residue that could damage or harm the paint. I'm looking for something to protect against pits, bugs and rock chips. Here's the product:

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...0&series=SPORT

Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 AM
renos09
Veteran

My friend had this proffessionaly done on his vette. You can barely tell that it's on, and not one rock chip. A bit expensive but well worth it.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 AM
devile
Professional

it will change the way it fades, a friend of mine got it done on his carbon fiber hood, and his hood with the film almost has a yellowish lighter tinge to it then the rest of the hood... Where I'm gonna do it is on the colored part of my non sport bumper, something where it has no immediate connect with the rest of the truck, so a slight fade won't be really noticeable....

Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
crod
All Star

i cant vouch for carbon fiber. but on steel/alum it works great. i have had it on a ranger for 6 years. (the film is even better now) its pricey but well worth it. i think the only reason im not going to get it on this truck is its not my daily driver so i cant justify it.

well, worth it imho.

i cant comment on the brand you mentioned. but i have had first hand experience with this one.

http://www.xpel.com/

like i said, pricey but....

also. have it done professionally by someone that does it all the time. also. sometimes shops carry rolls of it, (say 30" long) and custom cut certain areas for a huge $$ savings. i.e. down the side of the truck/rocker panels ect...

Last edited by crod; 08-05-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM
ropatz
Amateur

I know someone that did it to their white truck. I definitely would not recommend doing it to a white truck. The film will yellow over time and is noticable with a white background.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
huck

well i sure don't want it to yellow!! i have a gray sport and i was just wanting to do it to the lower bumper and the grill. i might ask the local body shop guys how they feel about it

Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
h20man

It appears as though my lower front bumper came with the clear film either from the factory or dealership. I only noticed it when I washed the truck for the first time. I don't think it was a dealer add on though I could be wrong, its definitely not listed anywhere.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Phil Des 09laramie
Rookie

I had it on my race car, and know of a number of people who track their Porsches ,the stuff to use that will not yellow is the 3M film. after a few hundred hours of passing thru dust clouds and getting pelted by chunks of rubber at 130mph, it saved the from of my car as well as all my friends who had it installed. Dont go for the bargain films.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM
j-rod82
Rookie

Hmm.. now here is another thing I see myself spending money on. I'd love to have the hood/fender kit. Wouldn't mind the grill kit either to help with cleaning those darn bug guts off.

sigh..

To many things to do, so little time and money.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM
crod
All Star

yes the 3m stuff is the best. mine that was installed on my work truck is 6 yrs old with no yellowing. i know it has improved since then.

Quick Reply: Invisible Mask..Anybody have any experience w/this?