4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

where to buy silverstar bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not impressed with silver stars, the oem phillips bulbs are better.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok....now I'm back on the fence.....where are you guys getting your hid kits at? And did you just leave your highbeams the same or did you swap them out for something different too, assuming you have the 4 bulb headlights. and is there any concern with heat at all....will they get too hot if they are on for an extended amoun of time.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:22 PM
tombogue09
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sick of using these crappy lights so I'm interested in hids too. I just know nothing about lights

Old 08-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Originally Posted by jayman84
Ok....now I'm back on the fence.....where are you guys getting your hid kits at? And did you just leave your highbeams the same or did you swap them out for something different too, assuming you have the 4 bulb headlights. and is there any concern with heat at all....will they get too hot if they are on for an extended amoun of time.
I put in Silverstar Ultras in my highbeams, and yes, they suck. But it's probably a combination of the bulb and the highbeam light housing.

HIDs actually run cooler than tungsten filament lights, so you don't have to worry about the HIDs melting your light assemblies.

I got my kit at Intense HID. These guys are local to me and great to deal with.

Don't forget that if you buy an HID kit, make sure you get the cancelers or the anti-flicker harness. This will keep your lights from flickering or not working. This is due to the busy-body electronics.

Last edited by Thatmarkguy; 08-28-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:48 PM
jayman84
Captain

where did you mount the ballast boxes at? Could you post a picture of what it looks like under the hood.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 PM
mrbrown
Amateur

I'm also interrested in this set up. Just a little nervous since I know nothing about hid lights and I also hate the blue look. I'm curious to see the set up and mounting of the ballast.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

not all kits require the cancellors (anti-flicker).. mine didnt.. neither did any of the other guys who were in on the group buy i did.

also no HID bulb is 55 watts. all HID bulbs are 35 watts... and if they are.. they been modded out and wont last very long

some people to sell thier bulbs advertise "HID bulbs are only 35 watts so its less of a strain on your elctricle system"... other guys claim "our kit is 55 watts for more power than the other guys"

the truth is all bulbs are 35 watts... the addition 15-20 watts is what the ballast uses to convert your 12 volts into the needed voltage to ignite the gasses inside the HID bulb.. hid bulbs use a gas unlike a filament in regular bulbs

so yeah.. your bulbs are 35 watt.. but your kit uses 50-55 watts all together...

sure there are exeptions... ive heard of people building thier own ballast and doing crazy things... im just giving the basics here.

I mounted my ballast down in a little pocket inside the fenders.... there is a lot of room... no problems to mount.. sorry no pics.. and dont really want to take the grille and headlights out to take one... trust me.. there is room

heres something i found to help explain it:

When the ballast ignites, it takes in a small amount of power and creates an intense charge of electricity across the electrodes. This electrical charge excites the gas molecules inside the bulb and causes them to discharge photon particles, producing light. Because the light is based on this gas discharge, HID lights only produce about 5% of their total output at ignition and can require up to 30 seconds to warm up to full power. If the light is turned off, it must cool to a certain temperature before it can be re-ignited.

This process creates several significant advantages over a standard light bulb. Because heat not a necessary component of light production in HID lights, they are able to produce the same or even more light at a much cooler temperature. HID lights are also far more efficient because the electrical current is only the catalyst for the gas to discharge its light particles, not the primary source of heat and light. The ballast regulates a constant flow of power only to keep the gas molecules excited, while a standard light requires a constant intense electrical current to keep the filament hot. HID bulbs will last longer than standard bulbs because of the rapid decay of the tungsten filament and will also produce more light toward the end of its life.

In addition to being more efficient, HID lights also produce brighter and more intense light because the entire capsule of gas is used instead of just a small filament in the middle of the bulb. This also means that the light will be distributed more evenly than with a standard bulb

btw... if you hate the blue look buy a HID kit with the temp between 4300k and 6000k

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 08-28-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 PM
tombogue09
Captain

What kind did you get in the group buy? Its so frustrating shopping for these things because there are so many different kinds and brands. I went to ebay and theres like 30000 kits and bulbs for sale and 90% of those are around 40 bucks which makes me think they're junk.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

HIDEXTRA is a site vendor

I havent tried him but at least if you have issues you have the admins and moderators here to help you with resolving any possible issue..

i see sometimes he says his stuff needs relays though...

a link to his thread is here

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/vendor-...members-3.html

try contacting him and tell him what you want & need

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 08-28-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 PM
jayman84
Captain

so doc where did you buy your hid kit from?

Quick Reply: where to buy silverstar bulbs?