4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Messy oil change by dealer

Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start off with the service manager and ask him nicely to take care of the mess. If they care to have your business again they will gladly take care of it and apologize. If they don't want to fix it, then I'd become a little more stern and potentially involve someone else. People make mistakes. When they do, they should be willing to fix them.

And I don't change my own oil b/c I'm too busy for that. There's nothing wrong with that. I just make sure I have it done by someone I trust.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
bmbhntr

I cleaned it up myself. I also intend to change it myself in the future. I thought it would be easy to have them do it, but then I have to hang around in the waiting room for awhile and then, apparently at times, have to clean up the mess they make. I have usually changed it myself before and I know how to do it w/o sliming the truck and making stains on the gararge floor. Live and learn....

Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by eaglestorm
Go see the salesman ? He has nothing to do with service. go back and see the service writer or service mananger they will have it taken care of. If you go in with a smart *** remark and pissy tone they will still fix it but may not help further. acting like a *** is not the way to start. Everyone makes mistakes even you. Go back now dont wait
Well when service could not manage to get the vibration out of my Dakota, I took it to an alignment shop asked them to fix the vibration. I left with a rear wheel balanced and an alignment for good measurement. Right to the Expressway....50, 60, 70 80 or crap a cop 60,get off the expressway get back on the other direction bring that Durango to full speed, I mean it hit the rev limiter hard like a wall, anyway no vibration funny. So I went in and just happen to see the salesman....I did not go to him actually, he asked why I was there I told him I was going to service to get my money back for something they tried 3 times to fix, wasted 3 days going there waiting for nothing, every bill still said minimal vibration detected not a road hazard. So they admitted on the receipt there was still vibration. Anyway I told him why I was there and he said let me take care of it. He came back with 10 free oil changes for me and the Service Manager with an apology. So 79 at the alignment shop got me over 300 in oil changes and the salesman told me whenever you are bringing your truck in let him know he will make sure it is taken care of. He left there and went to BMW. he could not stand the poor service and complaints. Bummer cuz he was a good guy and well i can't afford a BMW although he tried so hard to get me into one. So tell me the salesman can't do anything.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

If you worked in a dealer you would understand what I said. If you would have went to the service manager you would have got the same deal salesmen come and go and dont be suprised when you end up on the BMW's mailing list. Thats what salesmen do try to sale cars. Even if you cleand up the mess you should contact the service manager you might get a free detail out of it

Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't take more than a short conversation with the service manager. Chrysler is very concerned with customer service. I've gotten a survey call after each time my truck has been at the dealer for service. They will do anything they can to avoid bad ratings on the surveys.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
RamPhreak
Professional

Originally Posted by bmbhntr
Had the 6000 mile oil change done by my dealer. On the way home there was a terrible burnt oil smell. Pulled into my garage and looked under the hood. It was obvious that they made a mess when adding new oil. They wiped up some or most, but I could see oil smudges on the fan housing and some oil on the engine. After about 10 minutes, I looked under the engine and noticed several small puddles on the garage floor. Truck smells like burnt oil now. I usually change my own oil and have never come close to making this much of a mess. This did not happen at the 3000 mile change. My question to you all is, what would you do? I am thinking that the dealer owes me an engine compartment detailing. The service manager I have dealt with has been more than pleasant and I have only good things to say about him- it's the guy in back who messed up. I want to call the service manager and politely complain.
Yes, you should call them and tell them. This is exactly why I do my own oil changes. This filter location is a pain in the rear though. It is very hard to access witha strap wrench but can be done. I changed my first oil yesterday at 3,005....before the light came on.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
bmbhntr

After deciding to do this myself, I drove the front wheels up on the ramps and found that the filter is pretty easy to get to if approached via below the front bumper. I think the mess they made was from being sloppy when adding oil at the filler neck.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by MMMMRice
I knew that was coming.

What do I care about credibilty, Im not sponsoring the forum.

Oh and by the way, its lose not loose.
So I can't type or check spelling very well. Thanks for not calling me a "dumb-***".

With your not caring, guess we can give your future post the appropriate amount of attention.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

If one of the luxury automakers sold a real truck, I'd consider it for the service alone. It's too bad the Lincoln's aren't sold anymore (and they were based off a POS to begin with) and I don't like the Escalades. My wife gets 10x better service at her Hummer dealership than I've received at any Dodge dealership. I just thought having 2 Hummers in the driveway might have been a little weird....

Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
If one of the luxury automakers sold a real truck, I'd consider it for the service alone. It's too bad the Lincoln's aren't sold anymore (and they were based off a POS to begin with) and I don't like the Escalades. My wife gets 10x better service at her Hummer dealership than I've received at any Dodge dealership. I just thought having 2 Hummers in the driveway might have been a little weird....
it seems as though most of the people on this forum have driven trucks forever so you might not believe the difference between a Cadillac/Saab and a Dodge dealer for instance. I was astonished at how poor the customer service is at my local GMC/Dodge dealer.
i could not figure out why people were talking about making repairs on their own instead of having them done under the warranty. Now I know...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Messy oil change by dealer