4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Locker? Best Bang for Buck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 AM
buckmann686
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the addition of the limited slip like linked to above does this work with any stock gear ratio? Does the instalation take a shop or is it something that can be done at home?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

A Detroit locker will be fine. As has already been said, the only people that are saying a Detroit would not be good for a daily driver are people that have not had one. I've had Detroit lockers in my daily drivers for about 15 years now. They do cause a small amount of torque steer in a short wheelbase vehicle like a Jeep Wrangler, but in a vehicle like a pickup truck you can't even tell they are there until you get on the gas hard enough to spin the tires, and both tires spin instead of just one.

MOPWR2U

Old 09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
cpelton
Veteran

why locker? go with a LSD... I had a detroit truetrac it was awesome.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

Looks like its time to upgrade to a 2010 with 4wd, only reason why I traded my 04 for the 09, use to avoid low tide at the ramp at port everglades like the plague, every other time truck was fine (2wd with LSD) but at spring/fall lows needed help, also I wouldnt go to other ramps I did not know, ramp grade was good, too. Now with 4wd, no problems, not even a thought, I wouldn't bother with the upgrade to your current truck, also it may void your powertrain warranty.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
There are plenty of lockers for the 9.25. Detroit locker and Powertrax Lock-right and No-slip.
My personal preference is an automatic locker, since I hate open diffs all the time it's not very practical to flip a switch every time I want to lay into it, so my truck will be getting a Detroit.. My B2, which was my daily driver for a long time has a locker, I drove it 1000 miles a month and it's just fine. People that say bad things about the road manners of a locker have never driven one.
I have the power trax in my 72 chevy I swear it was like someone gave me another 100 hp. If you light up the tires you light them both up. but if one is in ice or sand the other one works just like the videos on their site. It clunks around a bit, not for the daily drive unless I did something wrong, been in there for 500 kms so far so I assume its okay and it was used also but it was within the feeler gauge thing they give ya. Big Bang for the buck and so simple to install even a Caveman could do it.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I don't need to trade the truck in for 4wd. Most of the time I don't need 4wd. Not only does a 4wd truck cost more, I'd lost thousands on a trade-in and I'd get worse fuel mileage 100% of the time.

I got the boat out yesterday with my truck just fine even with some sand and water on the ramp. I made some changes to how much throttle I gave it when. Worst case, the wife's Hummer will always pull the boat out.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
I don't need to trade the truck in for 4wd. Most of the time I don't need 4wd. Not only does a 4wd truck cost more, I'd lost thousands on a trade-in and I'd get worse fuel mileage 100% of the time.

I got the boat out yesterday with my truck just fine even with some sand and water on the ramp. I made some changes to how much throttle I gave it when. Worst case, the wife's Hummer will always pull the boat out.
Why not just use the Hummer on the ramps that are iffy and your Ram when you know its a good ramp,not a rock.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 72combo
Why not just use the Hummer on the ramps that are iffy and your Ram when you know its a good ramp,not a rock.
That would make sense right? Well, if the lake wasn't 50'+ low, I wouldn't have any problems. Since it's this low there are very few ramps open and not only is the ramp I use steep, it's a good 30 minute drive on a road with a 60mph speed limit that has lots of fairly steep grades. The Hummer even at WOT slows down from about 65 to 30 - 35 on some of these grades and it's sitting at 5,500 rpm going into them. Stupid 3.7L I5. (Wife has the H3.) It's a great vehicle for her and for offroading it's amazing, but it just wasn't build to tow a 5,000lbs boat (towing capacity is actually 4,500 lbs).

So, to make things easier, I was hoping I could make the truck work. It's easier to tow with and it's roomier for when we have other people along with us. I think if I'm just careful with how much throttle is given at what point on the ramp, I can make it work. And I've also found that it does better without tow/haul mode turned on when pulling up the ramp.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 PM
72combo
Champion

That would make sense right? Well, if the lake wasn't 50'+ low, I wouldn't have any problems. Since it's this low there are very few ramps open and not only is the ramp I use steep, it's a good 30 minute drive on a road with a 60mph speed limit that has lots of fairly steep grades. The Hummer even at WOT slows down from about 65 to 30 - 35 on some of these grades and it's sitting at 5,500 rpm going into them. Stupid 3.7L I5. (Wife has the H3.) It's a great vehicle for her and for offroading it's amazing, but it just wasn't build to tow a 5,000lbs boat (towing capacity is actually 4,500 lbs).

So, to make things easier, I was hoping I could make the truck work. It's easier to tow with and it's roomier for when we have other people along with us. I think if I'm just careful with how much throttle is given at what point on the ramp, I can make it work. And I've also found that it does better without tow/haul mode turned on when pulling up the ramp.
Well now I see the whole picture......sucks! Sorry, some type of posi should help though. You would think with all the torque it would have posi.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

You are totally correct on the trade in, but for fuel mileage I don't buy it, I get 18-19 on Highway and 14-15 around town with mine and I use E10, if I had good ole fashion gasoline it would be better. For me I needed to do it, have a saltwater boat, 25' long, total trailer/boat/gear wt. was around 7500 lbs., my 04 was great until it was low and the ramp made a break in lower tide water creating steeper incline, also other ramps in FLa are pretty steep.

Quick Reply: Rear Locker? Best Bang for Buck?