4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HEMICrew
Why not just ask the Challenger guy who has all the knowledge if he knows how or if it's realistically feasible on our Rams with remote start?

Jason
Go for it!

I looked on a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 forum as well. They were not able to do it even after working with a dealership.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 AM
FL09RamSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, thanks for posting.

So it is a lot more complicated then originally thought. Starting with something as simple as our keys are only detected when placed in the receiver ring. So communication is not there already. (now we can place one of our transponders, not the key, behind or near the ring. the drawback is that anyone can start the car at that point, lol)

I am sure simple splicing is not an option and we will need a new ignition switch. Can B and Can C would also be of concern.

It would take purchasing all the electronic items and seeing how to integrate to our trucks. The sad part is if it will not you will have a bunch of electronics you will need to sell to a Challenger owner.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
rjc799
Veteran

I asked him on the thread and sent him a PM over on the Challenger forum.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rjc799
I asked him on the thread and sent him a PM over on the Challenger forum.
Keep us informed. Even though I don't want it, I would love to see if there was a way to do it.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 AM
72combo
Champion

I hate these FOB from the day they came out, I like the ford with the keypad on the door handle. My friend has I think its a Cadillac he is more of an acquaintance anyway he just has to have this FOB in his pocket and push the buttlon his car

Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by FL09RamSport
Great info, thanks for posting.

So it is a lot more complicated then originally thought. Starting with something as simple as our keys are only detected when placed in the receiver ring. So communication is not there already. (now we can place one of our transponders, not the key, behind or near the ring. the drawback is that anyone can start the car at that point, lol)

I am sure simple splicing is not an option and we will need a new ignition switch. Can B and Can C would also be of concern.

It would take purchasing all the electronic items and seeing how to integrate to our trucks. The sad part is if it will not you will have a bunch of electronics you will need to sell to a Challenger owner.
Well I don't know about Canbus B or C but I do know when searching out a radio for the truck I discovered I needed a highspeed bus one and while searching noticed the Challenger was under the low speed bus so that might matter. If a truck is high speed bus radio does it not mean the whole truck runs that way. Maybe a clafication of high and low bus and b and c if someone knows, I don't know exactly what it means just one runs at a higher megahertz or whatever?????

Old 09-12-2009, 08:16 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 72combo
Well I don't know about Canbus B or C but I do know when searching out a radio for the truck I discovered I needed a highspeed bus one and while searching noticed the Challenger was under the low speed bus so that might matter. If a truck is high speed bus radio does it not mean the whole truck runs that way. Maybe a clafication of high and low bus and b and c if someone knows, I don't know exactly what it means just one runs at a higher megahertz or whatever?????
Our trucks have three busses. CAN-C is the fastest.

But, even if they were the same, which they may be, as the Challenger, we still have to get WIN/PCM software, which probably does not exist.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 AM
72combo
Champion

Sounds like one of those deal where it will come out mid year standard on all and we all get f....ed. Like the tailgate locks and the mds light...who knows what else for sure. Knock on wood my pre 09 build truck seems to not be experiencing these vibrations and rattles and knocks and ticks just one rattle and the flashes. No flat spots on tires although I hate these tires, always did . Goodforoneyear. Gonna prics some of the Cooper Zeons before winter. Changed topic again oops.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
kdkuhns3

It is entirely possible to make your own keyless ignition system. I had one that i designed and built for under 150 bucks in my 02 ram. cant imagine it would be much harder to do in the newer ones

Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
iRockCrawler

Originally Posted by FL09RamSport

Actually I don't think that would work either. The fobik needs to be in the WIN module to start. I can stick my finger and turn it to start but it will not start. If I put the fobik right beside my finger while I try to start it with my finger, it still will not start. that's pretty much the closest you can get it without it being in.

Also, our WIN is capable of push start. If I use my finger as a "start" button and push in, after about 2 seconds, it will display "damaged key" on the EVIC so there is contacts when you push in..

just need to figure out the PEM

Quick Reply: Push button start