4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hypertech Max Energy

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 AM
jws8308
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Max Energy

I just bought a Hypertech Max Energy programmer for my 09 Ram 1500 HEMI. Now I am not very savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Does anybody know what I should do as far as mods with the programmer. I know I want to run the program for 93 octane and raise the top speed limiter, but as far as everything else (shift points, shift firmness, rev limiter etc.) I have no idea what those other things will do and if I can damage the truck by going too hard with those mods.

If anybody has this tuner and could walk me through their recommendation, or if you are savvy with this kind of stuff, I would appreciate it.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:52 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jws8308
I just bought a Hypertech Max Energy programmer for my 09 Ram 1500 HEMI. Now I am not very savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Does anybody know what I should do as far as mods with the programmer. I know I want to run the program for 93 octane and raise the top speed limiter, but as far as everything else (shift points, shift firmness, rev limiter etc.) I have no idea what those other things will do and if I can damage the truck by going too hard with those mods.

If anybody has this tuner and could walk me through their recommendation, or if you are savvy with this kind of stuff, I would appreciate it.
First of all, you should call them and see what options it has. You can download the instructions from the internet and read them over, it's very simple. I read them and it does say that not all options are available on some models so call them to find out exactly what it can do. As far as shift points and firmness, I don't think it will let you over adjust it. It adjust in a percentage from 25% -100% up or down or stock settings. However, even at 100% firm, it means a 100% of what the tranny can handle and not a 100% firmer, suggesting it is a safe setting. So I would start off at a 100% firmness and feel it out to see if you like it and go from there. It will shift harder and crispier than the stock settings. As for the shift points, they are a little more touchy. You will need to calibrate the shift points with the rev limiter adjusting them to match and coexist with each other. In other words, you can't set the shift points higher than your rev limiter, and if you raise the rev limiter say 200 more rpms, you should raise shift points 200 as well. Also you should try one shift point at a time for the best possible option. Keep in mind that the shift points only apply in wide open throttle and not in normal driving. The 09 Ram de-throttles at stock shift points, so I would definately tweak them! I see that there is a possible option for coolant temperature settings as well. If it is available, do not change the settings unless you install the 185 degree thermostat. If you do, and you should, then you will need to adjust the fan settings to the newly installed thermostat. There's plenty of do's and don'ts to read before you plug your programmer into your vehicle. Mind them and all should go well, especially no accessories on at all, a must! Good luck, wish I had one now, hehe

Last edited by 1954Radio; 09-11-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Let us know how this works out for you.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
jws8308

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
do not change the settings unless you install the 185 degree thermostat. If you do, and you should, then you will need to adjust the fan settings to the newly installed thermostat.
I read about how changing the thermostats makes a world of difference. Do you recommend a certain make/model of 185 degree thermostats for my Ram?

Nonetheless, thank you for your imput, it is much appreciated.

I am going to tune it with the hypertech sometime next week when I am off work. I will post my results when available.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

I read about how changing the thermostats makes a world of difference. Do you recommend a certain make/model of 185 degree thermostats for my Ram?

Nonetheless, thank you for your imput, it is much appreciated.

I am going to tune it with the hypertech sometime next week when I am off work. I will post my results when available.

Thanks!
Any brand thermostat should do.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
AZDodgeHemi
Amateur

Thanks!
Changing to a cooler t-stat will affect your emissions. If you are in a state or city that has inspections, you might want to research a bit more first.

I have the Hypertech Max Energy for my Jeep JK - same part number programmer as the 5.7 Hemi. It helps my JK, but I haven't had the guts to try it on the Ram yet. I programmed the JK late on a Friday afternoon and the programmer bombed. I couldn't keep the JK running. Ruined my whole damn weekend. Hypertech was really good about giving me a custom download to recover my Jeep, but it still was a pain in the ****.

Keep this in mind when you program - NEVER do it late on a Friday before a big weekend! Also, make sure you have the Hypertech Technical Support phone number handy!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:49 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Just a reminder, READ the dos' and don'ts they are critical to your tune. You can not have ANY, ANY, ANY! accessories on PERIOD! while doing your tune! Not even your dome light or ringing bells from your door being open. You have to do it from inside, windows down, and more than likely with a little sweat, lol. You will be instructed by the led to turn the key on and off during your settings, very simple if you abide by the led and dos and donts. If you are PC savvy, it should be a walk in the park, good luck EDIT: One more thing here, it has been highly recommended by every performance shop I've seen to change that thermostat to a 185. You should go stand behind your truck and feel the heat coming from your exhaust, it's scary hot to me, and I'm changing mine when I do the high octane tune, I think it is a must! Also, it would be wise to hook your programmer up to your PC to check for updates before your tune. Even if it is brand new, it doesn't matter, updates become available very fast for these things. ~S~ As far as the exhaust heat, that is usually from the timing of the engine. The more retarded, the hotter the exhaust, but the thermostat will still help a great deal.

Last edited by 1954Radio; 09-12-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
AZDodgeHemi
Amateur

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
Just a reminder, READ the dos' and don'ts they are critical to your tune. You can not have ANY, ANY, ANY! accessories on PERIOD! while doing your tune! Not even your dome light or ringing bells from your door being open. You have to do it from inside, windows down, and more than likely with a little sweat, lol. You will be instructed by the led to turn the key on and off during your settings, very simple if you abide by the led and dos and donts. If you are PC savvy, it should be a walk in the park, good luck
Agreed. I go so far as to pull the recommended fuses. However, you can still get stung. I did. I hate to update my programmer since now I have a special one-off recovery program mated to my Jeep, even though it's the same PN as the Dodge Ram.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 AM
1954Radio
Captain

I believe that updates are just added features and should be safe installs. For example, these are new to the market and still under rigorous testing. Same goes for the Diablo that just came out for the 09 Ram. Options will periodically be added as time goes by. I don't think that it will change any of your settings that are already installed in your puter. I've been playing with my neighbors 02 Dakota using a Flashpaq and haven't had any update install issues as of yet, knock on wood. I'm going all out when I get what ever tuner I decide on, and hopefully very soon. I'll keep everyone posted on all tunes, updates and dos' and don'ts. We should be hearing some info pretty quick about these tuners and I'd like to compare the two. I can hardly wait to see what options Diablo will have and can do for the 09 Ram!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 AM
jws8308

Hey guys,

still havent had the chance to hook up the hypertech. Worked some OT and then when I thought I had a minute, I got confused with the fuse box. Since I have to pull the fuses for the Sat. Radio and remote start, I went to the fuse box but could not find the fuses for these options. I don't want to pull the wrong one or pull one less fuse for a multiple fuse application.

Also, went to the dealer to try and get a 180 degree thermostat. Parts dept. said that putting this thermostat in would throw up multiple error codes (as indicated on his computer) and that it would violate terms of warranty.

Nonetheless, I will post my results once I get over the aforementioned hurdles.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Max Energy