4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Lift Air Bag How To:

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even easier then adding a load, if you fill a tire to 35 psi off of the truck, then put it on the truck, it is still going to be at 35 psi. Even though you added the weight of the truck to the tire, the pressure stays the same.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Ironsides
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sarguy01
Ok. Thanks for the link. Here's what I found, at that link

If you will read "Amy's Tire Question", you find we already know the answer. The loaded tire has more pressure than the unloaded tire. By between 0.2 psi and 0.5 psi.

WHY?

Obviously the loaded tire occupies less volume. In it's undistorted shape, the air pressure in the tire tries to get to a state where the forces are balanced and at a minimum. This means maximum volume. Then when you load the tire, the weight changes the shape, and therefore the volume is reduced.

I hope everyone realizes this is not a theoretical study. It is based on observations of loaded and unloaded vehicles using a pressure gauge capable of meauring to the nearest 0.1 psi. I suggest that folks who don't believe this should perform the experiment themselves. However, you need to get a pressure guage capable of at least 0.1 psi increments.

Hope this helps.
So the tire pressure increases, as I said. It's not a very significant change, but there is a change.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 PM
seigell
Veteran

So, are we talking about 2 different makes of Air Bags ?? Or just 2 diff models ??
Mixgt - with the 100psi bags
Stonewhiteram - with the 35psi bags
(note: Even the Air Lift 1000 Instructions has some internal discrepancies, stating the 35psi max but referencing "for motorhomes, start with 50-100psi"...)

Are there simply different designs with similar capabilities but different pressure requirements ?? Or does Mixgt have some HeavyDuty bags with higher ratings ??

Old 09-20-2009, 02:05 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ironsides
Ok. Thanks for the link. Here's what I found, at that link

So the tire pressure increases, as I said. It's not a very significant change, but there is a change.
For some reason I thought we were talking about several PSI or more. My gauge does not show that little, so I just assumed we were talking about a noticeable difference.

But back to the reason we got started on tire pressure, if there was a load on one side of the truck, the pressure in both bags would always be equal, and not increase significantly.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by seigell
So, are we talking about 2 different makes of Air Bags ?? Or just 2 diff models ??
Mixgt - with the 100psi bags
Stonewhiteram - with the 35psi bags
(note: Even the Air Lift 1000 Instructions has some internal discrepancies, stating the 35psi max but referencing "for motorhomes, start with 50-100psi"...)

Are there simply different designs with similar capabilities but different pressure requirements ?? Or does Mixgt have some HeavyDuty bags with higher ratings ??
The max for the Air Lift 1000's is 35 PSI, loaded or unloaded. It says it multiple times through the manual.

The 100 PSI things must be for a different model of air bags.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Ironsides
Professional

Originally Posted by sarguy01
For some reason I thought we were talking about several PSI or more. My gauge does not show that little, so I just assumed we were talking about a noticeable difference.

But back to the reason we got started on tire pressure, if there was a load on one side of the truck, the pressure in both bags would always be equal, and not increase significantly.
The pressure increase will be higher, as a percentage, as the pressure itself is lower. Once tire pressure is around 35PSI, the pressure change is very small. If the tire pressure is near 0 (gauge) unloaded, when you put the truck back on the ground, you'll probably see a few PSI increase.

As for the air bags, if they are piped together, the pressure has to be equal, at all times. If they are piped separately, inflated to the same pressure, and then the truck is loaded on one side, the pressure in the bag on that side will be higher than the unloaded side. But it won't be a large difference.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:20 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ironsides
The pressure increase will be higher, as a percentage, as the pressure itself is lower. Once tire pressure is around 35PSI, the pressure change is very small. If the tire pressure is near 0 (gauge) unloaded, when you put the truck back on the ground, you'll probably see a few PSI increase.

As for the air bags, if they are piped together, the pressure has to be equal, at all times. If they are piped separately, inflated to the same pressure, and then the truck is loaded on one side, the pressure in the bag on that side will be higher than the unloaded side. But it won't be a large difference.
Agree.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 PM
tmot35
Rookie

I just read the install on airlift's web page. It does say max is 35psi. It does say it recommends increasing TIRE pressur by 2psi for every 100lbs of load.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 PM
tmot35
Rookie

ok so I should have read further, because then I see where it says for motorhomes 50-100psi. So I just emailed Airlift to see what gives. I will post all info given.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
tmot35
Rookie

Ok I just got a reply from Airlift. The airlift1000 is only rated for a max of 35psi.

Quick Reply: Air Lift Air Bag How To: