4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ParkView rear camera question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 PM
vyruz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ParkView rear camera question

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new here and have to admit I registered to ask this one question that's been bugging me for a week now, seems like a fun place so I might as well stick around

First of all I'd like you all to know that I live in Belgium, Europe, and that the Dodge Ram is not a readily available vehicle over here. We do have Dodge dealerships but they don't sell the Ram, so I had to order my car from a special import company which specialize in delivering oversea vehicles.

Anyhow, I bought an '09 Ram Laramie Quad cab and got it last week. However, it didn't come with the rear view camera, so I ordered the camera kit and installed it myself (luckily European Dodge/Chrysler dealerships CAN order American Dodge spare parts...).

Everything went fine except for this one thing:
You have the camera in the tailgate handle, and then there's a short wire harness which leads to just outside the tailgate, then there's a connector which allows easy tailgate removal. This connector then connects to the main camera harness which runs from under the hood to the back of the truck. Now the problem is, I can't find where to put this damn connector (the one connecting the tailgate harness to the remaining harness). Looking in the owners manual on page 206, it talks about a "Connector Bracket" which you have to open up in order to remove the connector, and I think my truck doesn't have this bracket. If I remove the tailgate and look at the back of the truck, in the sill (is this the correct word??) I can see a rectangular hole which I can imagine could house this connector bracket...

Could someone who has the OEM camera please post a picture of this "connector bracket", just remove the tailgate and take a picture of the back of your truck and I should be able to see what I'm missing.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM
ran jr
Veteran

The add on kit does not contain the "bracket" you speak of, BUT, it's not really needed. The wire harness that installs in the tailgate has two "metal clips" which I used one on the bottom of the tailgate and the other on the "sill". I then used one of the zip ties to hold the "main" wire harness to the other wiring under the truck and just plugged the tailgate harness into it. I too thought I was missing a piece but I went up to my local dealership and looked at a truck with it from the factory. I think you can order the "bracket or plug" if you really had a desire for it but it's not manditory.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
vyruz

Originally Posted by ran jr
The add on kit does not contain the "bracket" you speak of, BUT, it's not really needed. The wire harness that installs in the tailgate has two "metal clips" which I used one on the bottom of the tailgate and the other on the "sill". I then used one of the zip ties to hold the "main" wire harness to the other wiring under the truck and just plugged the tailgate harness into it. I too thought I was missing a piece but I went up to my local dealership and looked at a truck with it from the factory. I think you can order the "bracket or plug" if you really had a desire for it but it's not manditory.
Thanks for replying.
do you happen to know the partnr for that bracket?
I think I'd still like to order it, it can't cost that much and makes for a nice finishing touch...

Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 PM
ran jr
Veteran

Originally Posted by vyruz
Thanks for replying.
do you happen to know the partnr for that bracket?
I think I'd still like to order it, it can't cost that much and makes for a nice finishing touch...
Sorry, I don't. I'd ask my local dealer but they have a hard time finding the part number for the oil filter. Everything they pull up shows discontinued.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
72combo
Champion

Dealerships were scary before when the knew what they were doing....now holy crap. I am gonna start bringing my own oil who knows what they are really putting in there.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vyruz
Hi Guys,

I'm brand new here and have to admit I registered to ask this one question that's been bugging me for a week now, seems like a fun place so I might as well stick around

First of all I'd like you all to know that I live in Belgium, Europe, and that the Dodge Ram is not a readily available vehicle over here. We do have Dodge dealerships but they don't sell the Ram, so I had to order my car from a special import company which specialize in delivering oversea vehicles.

Anyhow, I bought an '09 Ram Laramie Quad cab and got it last week. However, it didn't come with the rear view camera, so I ordered the camera kit and installed it myself (luckily European Dodge/Chrysler dealerships CAN order American Dodge spare parts...).

Everything went fine except for this one thing:
You have the camera in the tailgate handle, and then there's a short wire harness which leads to just outside the tailgate, then there's a connector which allows easy tailgate removal. This connector then connects to the main camera harness which runs from under the hood to the back of the truck. Now the problem is, I can't find where to put this damn connector (the one connecting the tailgate harness to the remaining harness). Looking in the owners manual on page 206, it talks about a "Connector Bracket" which you have to open up in order to remove the connector, and I think my truck doesn't have this bracket. If I remove the tailgate and look at the back of the truck, in the sill (is this the correct word??) I can see a rectangular hole which I can imagine could house this connector bracket...

Could someone who has the OEM camera please post a picture of this "connector bracket", just remove the tailgate and take a picture of the back of your truck and I should be able to see what I'm missing.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Welcome to DodgeForum and although i dont have the information you are looking for, i'm sure someone on here does... WELCOME and thanks for representing in Belgium!

Quick Reply: ParkView rear camera question