4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question about flashing the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009 | 03:14 AM
evenodds20
|
Rookie
Default question about flashing the ECU

should i be taking my 09 in for routine flashes? do i have to be having a problem before they will reflash my ecu? is there a list of the recalls that have come out? what is a TSB stand for? i know RR stands for rapid response but i know know what the T stands for in RRT!
i would like to take my truck in and have everything updated.

Old 10-11-2009 | 03:34 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

As improvements are made to the computer software say for idle or cold start or trans shifting then a flash update is issued.There is even one for heat/ac control operation on certain models.Updates(flashes)are covered under warranty while the vehicle is in warranty.Afterwards its on the owner.These updates are now usually done without a complaint but over the years that was not always the case.Fake a complaint if needed.But I think these days the dealer is suppose to check for needed updates and perform them while in the basic warranty.If the update does not apply to a said vehicle it tells them 'won't accept'not needed etc.It cannot be done if its not needed.Just like your desk top pc getting 'updates' from Microsoft or whom ever.TSB is Technical Service Bulletin.Helps techs repair items that engineering has been involved in or something that is above dealer tech level and needs to be addressed.While in warranty TSB's are covered TSB;s are NOT recalls.Rapid Response Transmittal.I think thats a NEW thats a fairly new term being used.Replacing TSBs but in essence same sorta deal.Engineering communicating with dealer level on issues.

Old 10-11-2009 | 09:28 PM
evenodds20
|
Rookie

thanks this clears up everything.

Old 10-12-2009 | 02:21 AM
usp45compact
Professional

Still ask them to check and make sure everything has been addressed though. I thought they would be proactively fixing things automatically on mine during previous servicings, but when I asked them this last time around, they said it had 6 RRT's that had never been addressed. I think that sometimes they get so busy that if you don't mention it, they aren't going to mess with it. They definately don't seem to have any self initiative to perform any work on my truck that doesn't cost me money. But they'll sure remind me I need that $49 tire rotation every time I come in....

Old 10-12-2009 | 05:56 AM
budlight2384
Rookie

So if I go to a dodge dealer do I just ask for a "flash" or do I have to say something wrong with my truck. I'm new to dodge truck so any info is helpful

Old 10-12-2009 | 06:39 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

If the SERVICE ADVISOR is up on his game he is suppose to run a VSS(vehicle warranty history,recall list,restrictions etc.on EVERY vehicle that comes in and attach it to the repair order.They get PAID to do RRT/TSB's etc.Ad that TO the tire rotation on such it takes a mediocre ticket to something decent.Techs actually appreciate that at the end of the week.So does dealer.HE makes MONEY off of such.Its ALL revenue.I found HUNDEREDS of vans with 7 recalls all little ones that were OLD vans and NEVER had them done.They added up to a couple/three labor hours per van(caravans) any how get up with things on this site,ask about such when you take it in etc.

Last edited by hounddogg; 10-12-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: question about flashing the ECU