4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Efficiency Drop

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM
ran jr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oosik
What I've noticed and I think is happening is in city driving or anything under 40 mph, the CAI doesn't get the proper air speed going through it, so it's basically useless. Anything above 40 mph is great,
The volume of air required to operate the engine is not determined by speed, it's RPM. So unless you're driving the entire time in the same gear, I don't think that's your problem. Now a ram air intake will force air into the engine based on speed but I don't think yours is a ram air system.

Also the MAP sensor in our trucks (MAS sensor in other vehicles) measures the pressure/volume of air entering into the engine. The PCM/ECM will add the appropriate amount of fuel to meet the predetermined air/fuel ratio that's needed and confirmed by the O2 sensors after combustion.

All in all, there are a number of factors that could be contributing to the decrease in fuel mileage but so far you believe it's the intake. My suggestion would be to replace it with the factory one and see if it improves.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
danno5069
Professional
Default Mufflex fuel economy

Installed mufflex 24, should economy improve?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

I saw no difference in stock muffler and a 24 inch Magnaflow.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Oosik
Professional

My understanding behind the idea of having a better filter, CAI, or ram air intake comboed with a new muffler is it allows the engine to run more efficiently. Allows more air and cooler air to enter the engine and the the change in design of muffler allows for less back pressure in turn allowing more exhaust to leave the vehicle. An engine that runs more efficiently in turn should get better mileage. I'm no expert but that was my understanding. I like the sound of my 18" Mufflex and the look of the Airaid CAI, but I never expected for mileage to drop. It could possible be other factors I'm not aware of, I'm new to the world of engine mods.

I could understand it staying the same but not dropping. The drop occured on my in city driving but my highway mileage went up. It confuses me but then again I'm only on my second tank since adding the mods and switching back over to 89. I am getting a little better mileage now though after reseting the computer (well I think I did), back up to around 16.5 MPG. We'll see how it goes after this tank.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
09RuffRam
Veteran

i have notice my MPG drop too. whn i first got my truck i was in the 19 mpg range and than with lift and tires (3 months after i bought thte truck) i went down to around 15mpg. i than added a intake and what not and i was seeing aaround 16.5 but now im getting more around 14.5 i drive 1200Kms to work and its the same route everytime so why does the milage keep gettin worse?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Oosik
Professional

I'm learning if I really pay attention to how I drive I can get it back up near 18 MPG if I can get the MDS to kick in most of the time. I'm curious to see if I went back to 87 if I'd get better mileage. We'll see, I do like the sound...except when the MDS kicks in and it has that weird frequency. Averaging about 16.3 MPG according to the computer, only 2nd tank though and I've been a tad bit squirrely with it as of lately.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:12 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RuffRam
i have notice my MPG drop too. whn i first got my truck i was in the 19 mpg range and than with lift and tires (3 months after i bought thte truck) i went down to around 15mpg. i than added a intake and what not and i was seeing aaround 16.5 but now im getting more around 14.5 i drive 1200Kms to work and its the same route everytime so why does the milage keep gettin worse?
Well, KM=Canada, which means cool weather. That is your issue. It will pick back up in Spring.

Todays cars run richer when the air temp is cooler.

Quick Reply: Fuel Efficiency Drop