4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RES Replacement Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:14 AM
staffdd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RES Replacement Wiring Harness

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of trouble replacing my factory RES deck with an aftermarket one. I've done several stereo swaps before but I'm having a hard time finding a wiring harness to replace the deck. I cant find anything online, and the local stereo shops are trying to sell me some 200$ adapter to do it.

Since this is the base stereo without amp/etc I would think there would be a basic adapter out there. Is the stereo shop correct and it really costs that much or can someone point me in the right direction. Ive been all over the forums here for weeks and cant find anything specific on it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
ran jr
Veteran

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some experience with radio installs so do you really need an adapter? The link below is the wiring layout for the MyGIG units which I know you don't have but I'm not sure if the wiring is that much different or not. Give it a look and see if it helps.

http://www.mofv.com/mygig/MyGIGPinouts.htm

Old 10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
staffdd

I was trying to go the easy way without splicing/testing wires and hacking everything up to work (I used to install professionaly but things are more complicated now adays with computers).

So far I've found 3 wiring kits. One is the 200$ one that has some sort of control box/stearing controler in it, another is about 60$ that has lots of very long wires which im assuming is to bypass the amp so you can power the speakers off the deck, and the 3rd is a 5$ basic adapter.

If nobody knows for sure and has done this, I'll pick up the 5 dollar one to play with. Ill let you all know. Its just driving me crazy, a vehicle should only need a cheap adapter.

Also while i'm on the subject. Ive got a dual 10" under the back seat box that is decent with a pair of JL 10w3v2's. Hits pretty good but im always wanting more. Has anyone raised the rear seats up and fiberglassed a box for 2 12's? The reason im asking is I have a pair of JL 12v6's that I would love in that truck (amazing sound) but not quite sure if lifting the seat would even be enough. Its either that or spend a few hundred on the shallow mount subs

Old 10-21-2009, 05:43 PM
ran jr
Veteran

I don't think many of us here have changed out the head units in our trucks. You may want to check the other Dodge/Chrysler vehicle forums as they have the same radio available to them.

As far as the subs, Fox Acoustics has made a box for 2 12s that fix our truck. He currently doesn't have it listed on his website but you may try giving him a call or email. http://www.foxacoustics.com/

Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
72combo
Champion

There is a kit even available from the dealer that lifts the back seat in the Crew Cab, kinda like cinema seating LOL its so people in the back can see it doubles as a lift so you can put a deeper sub.

Quick Reply: RES Replacement Wiring Harness