4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear veiw camera wirring on tailgate question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 PM
blurred vision
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear veiw camera wirring on tailgate question.

Where does the wire come through the tail gate and is their a other part you have to buy to have a quick release to take of tail gate. Thanks guys.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 AM
renos09
Veteran

The wire that came with my unit has a disconnect right afetr the bumper. I ran the wire through the inside of the tailgate and out the bottom between the bumper.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 AM
GapRunr
Rookie
Default rear view camera question

What wires are coming off of the OEM tailgate latch camera? Is it a composite video? I'm thinking about installing the OEM rear view camera to feed the image to my GPS for when I am hooking up a trailer.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by GapRunr
What wires are coming off of the OEM tailgate latch camera? Is it a composite video? I'm thinking about installing the OEM rear view camera to feed the image to my GPS for when I am hooking up a trailer.
It is a unique Dodge multi-pin connector, not your standard video cable connector. Although it may be doable, if you want to feed video into your aftermarket GPS unit, you may need to go aftermarket. If you have the MyGig, then the OEM camera is a nice option because of how nice it is to have the camera integrated into the tailgate handle.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 AM
GapRunr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
It is a unique Dodge multi-pin connector, not your standard video cable connector.

How many pins are there? I would assume it would have three pins, in which case I may be able to make it work.

I'll probably get one of the OEM Tailgate cameras and if I can't get it to work I'll eBay it.

If anyone has a picture of the connector I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited by GapRunr; 11-23-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:37 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

I installed my OEM, was fairly straight forward except for the wires installed in the plugs wrong (fixed that), there is a thread on here where you can buy a cam on ebay about 100 dollars and install it in the tailgate latch like OEM, they also offer an IR model, but not needed trust me. But the cam on ebay installs into a hole you drill where the OEM would of been installed, looked nice, almost went that route but they finally sent my camera in August. Do a thread search I am sure you can find it.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Dustinmc15
Rookie

Yep, here's my aftermarket camera installed into my tailgate handle. The camera cost me about $60 from ebay and has excellent picture quality. It was very easy to install with the AllGig.

Name:  reverse_camera.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  78.0 KB

Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 PM
GapRunr
Rookie

Sweet!

I just ordered a CCD color with Infrared for $90 delivered. This will be alot easier for me to connect to my GPS than the proprietary Mopar connectors found on the OEM camera, and I won't have to rekey my tailgate lock.

Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:08 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Dustinmc15
Yep, here's my aftermarket camera installed into my tailgate handle. The camera cost me about $60 from ebay and has excellent picture quality. It was very easy to install with the AllGig.

Where did you get your camera from and does it have led's for night vision?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Dustinmc15
Rookie

Here's the link to the camera I bought, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT. It does not have led's for night vision, they are completely unnecessary in my opinion, the reverse lights provide plenty of light for this application.

Quick Reply: Rear veiw camera wirring on tailgate question.