4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Wiring Pics for Quad headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
drought_buster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Wiring Pics for Quad headlights

I purchased the HIDextra.com HID lights and used Lancelanz's tuturial on how they installed their lights. One of the issues I had was wiring up the headlights, So I took a few pictures in hopes to clearify some things.

LanceLanz's Post:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...installed.html

One of the things Lance says he had to file parts and cut tabs off the wiring harness to make all the wires fit together. I didn't have to in my case. Here is a picture on how I got the wiring to work in my truck.
Name:  RamHid0010.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  RamHid0011.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  49.7 KB

I purchased a 25mm hole saw to cut a hole in the low beam cap. I also drilled a 3mm pilot hole to help center up the hole saw cutter.
Name:  RamHid0012.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  37.3 KB

I then cut the supplied harness from HidExtra that attaches to the stock light bulb and pushed the wires through the grommet. That way I am able to seal the headlight back up.
Name:  RamHid0013.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  52.7 KB

Once The cap was installed I pulled the grommet up into the cap. I then used some 18-22 gauge butt splices that were raychem heat shrink to waterproof the connection. The raychem are buttsplices that you heat up with a heat gun that will shrink onto the connector and the adhesive flows within the buttspice over the bare wires to protect and seal them.
NOTE: Make sure you install the cap first, then reconnect the wires. The end connector on the floor will not go thru the 25mm hole I cut. I had to cut the wire and redo the buttsplices connectors because I didn't check for clearance of the harness connector.
Name:  RamHid0014.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  50.2 KB

I hope this helps people with the install, and clears up some confusing steps in wiring the HIDextra converstion kit.

Last edited by drought_buster; 12-11-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: grammer and spelling
Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 AM
crod
All Star

i thought these were strictly plug and play?

do you have the quad system with the capacitors ??

Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 PM
drought_buster
Rookie

Originally Posted by crod
i thought these were strictly plug and play?

do you have the quad system with the capacitors ??

Yes I have the quad system with the capacitors. This conversion kit is plug and play if you don't want to install the watertight sealing cap on the back of your headlights.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 PM
speedgtp

Thank you buster!! This helped me a ton!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
ThEOnE@ce

What name brand is the capacitors kit i have a 2010 dodge truck with the quad system and i got H11 low beam and i got these capacitors on ebay and the still flicker and i would like h10 but i cant get them in canada where i live

Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 PM
CanaDodge

I also bought the kit from HIDextra.com. I didn't have to cut and splice anything. yes the one connector didn't want to go through the 1" hole but all I did was removed the clip on the back of the connector and it went through no problem. Then I just reinstalled the clip.

I had the lights in for 1 week until one of the ballasts gave up the goat. HIDextra is replacing it, but in order for me to get it right away, I had to purchase another ballast and then they will reimburse me for it once they get my old one back. It's like they don't trust me. Plus I have to wait another week or better for it to arrive. I've asked them if they could overnight it. We'll see.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 AM
NH HemiRamFan
Rookie

i just received my HID kit from HIDextra.com. The kit i got looks exactly like picture #4 but without the black plug to connect to the stock plug. I have separate bare metal ends, is that plug something you picked up after? And picture #1 looks like a different kit altogether. The leads off the right side (facing picture) has what looks like an inline capacitor that did not come in my kit. But it isnt present in picture#4? Anyone have any insight on this? thanks

Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
drought_buster
Rookie

Name:  ramlight1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  65.9 KB

I guess im confused with your question. Maybe this will clear up any questions you have. This is the final picture with the wiring buttoned up. The wire that I cut and spliced back together came with the kit. I wanted the wires to go thru the grommet for a water tight seal. I then used some clear caulking to seal the rubber grommet to the plastic cover. The wires that I cut connect to the capacitor that was supplied with the kit. you need the capacitor to prevent your low beam headlights from flickering. If you read the posts about HIDExtra the representative for the company states that you must ask for the ballast in the comment section when you place your order (example: 2009 Dodge Ram / H11 Low Beam headlights / Need capacitor). The capacitor is free with your order. I then connected the spliced wire to the capacitor, and connected the capacitor to the ballast.

On the wires that i cut, I removed the black heat shrink tubing if that's your confusion.

Last edited by drought_buster; 03-31-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
ilpoc

I have a 2010 dodge ram, quad bulbs, which HID kit would i need im having trouble finding one for my low beams, ive had set of H13 for a performancee shop and they dont fit, the problem is the main connection is 3 prongs and the kit was 2 prong.. any suggestions would be great!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM
drought_buster
Rookie

Originally Posted by ilpoc
I have a 2010 dodge ram, quad bulbs, which HID kit would i need im having trouble finding one for my low beams, ive had set of H13 for a performancee shop and they dont fit, the problem is the main connection is 3 prongs and the kit was 2 prong.. any suggestions would be great!
1st issue is H13 is the incorrect bulb for low beams. H11 is the correct bulb. You do realize that the loose red and black wires in the picture above connects to the ballast, and the ballast only. You still plug the 3 prong wires into the main harness that runs to the headlights. The 3 prong wire controls your high beam and low beam. All your doing for the low beam is giving voltage to the ballast to generate the power needed to light the HID's.

Name:  ramlight2.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  72.4 KB

Last edited by drought_buster; 03-31-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: HID Wiring Pics for Quad headlights