4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blacked Out Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
martj8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked Out Wheels

Ive got a '10 1500 Sport on order for when I get back from Afghanistan in July and have been writing up a list of mods. I have looked at a lot of wheels, and although I like a lot of them out there, I really like the look of the stock 20" 5-spokes on the Sport. But, my truck is going to end up completely blacked out, so the wheels have got to change.

Ive found a bunch of tutorials online on how to paint wheels, and while its within my abilities and very attractive due to the price I need some questions answered first.

Has anyone painted their own stock chrome clad wheels, and how has it held up?
If I get it done professionally, do they have a certain method worth the price that will have them hold up better?
As far as powder coating goes, is it always a flatte black finish, or can you powder coat for a glossy finish as well?

Ive read that powder coating holds up better in the long run, but painting is attractive to me because my old rims on my Mazda 3 got beat up, and painting offers a way to fix it periodically.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by martj8
Ive got a '10 1500 Sport on order for when I get back from Afghanistan in July and have been writing up a list of mods. I have looked at a lot of wheels, and although I like a lot of them out there, I really like the look of the stock 20" 5-spokes on the Sport. But, my truck is going to end up completely blacked out, so the wheels have got to change.

Ive found a bunch of tutorials online on how to paint wheels, and while its within my abilities and very attractive due to the price I need some questions answered first.

Has anyone painted their own stock chrome clad wheels, and how has it held up?
If I get it done professionally, do they have a certain method worth the price that will have them hold up better?
As far as powder coating goes, is it always a flatte black finish, or can you powder coat for a glossy finish as well?

Ive read that powder coating holds up better in the long run, but painting is attractive to me because my old rims on my Mazda 3 got beat up, and painting offers a way to fix it periodically.
You can't powder coat chrome clad. I had my wheels painted professionally, we will see how long they last.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndo...7618995578953/

Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
usp45compact
Professional

Yep, can't powder coat the chrome clads. But a LOT of people just paint em themselves with good results. They make spray cans specifically for wheels, but I would say any high quality acrylic enamel should work pretty good as long as you prepped the surface good. If you have a lazy suzan laying around, you can probably replicate what the guy in this video did, I thought it looked a lot easier and the results looked nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ukb9Hjppk

Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 PM
ems91285

Ive got a '10 1500 Sport on order for when I get back from Afghanistan in July
Hey, I noticed that you said your truck is on order and you will get it once your redeploy. If you are ordering it through the Exchange New Car program I give you this warning, you will likely have to pay state taxes on the truck when you try to register and tag it when you get back. I was planning on ordering my truck in the same program and opted out because I would have been slapped with a 2500 dollar State sales tax on top of the registration fees. I was able to shop around online in dealership new inventory and picked up the exact truck I was planning to purchase from the ENCS for the same price. I really pissed off the ENCS salesman when I told him I needed the 5K I had already put down on my order. $2500 can get you a lot of modifications!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:32 PM
martj8

Yeah im looking in to that, but it depends on state to state what you actually end up paying. Ive been talking to some dealers as well, and seeing if they can beat the ENCS price. If they can, the agent said she can lower the price or we can cancel the order up until like a month out, but so far even throwing in some taxes, ENCS is by far the best price.

Quick Reply: Blacked Out Wheels