4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winter Washing

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009 | 11:53 AM
Longball

I agree with the good wax before the winter. I actually used a wax called Aero Gloss, designed for airplanes. It is a gloss, and man did it shine when I was done! Made the chrome really pop against the red. Loved it. And the salt seems to come off easier than when I didn't use it.

As for the underbody, I was given a suggestion recently that I may try next year. It's a rust and corrosion prevention spray called Fluid Film. I picked one can up for my snowblower to help keep that from rusting and running better. A friend said he knows people who actually spray the bottom of the truck with the stuff before the winter to protect it from all the salt in the winter. I didn't get a chance to do it this year, but think I will next year. It is listed as one of it's uses, so I think I'll give it a try.

Last edited by Longball; 12-24-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-24-2009 | 01:15 PM
crod
All Star

a good GREASE undercoating will prevent the truck from rusting "forever". i said in another post at about the 13yr. mark the vehicle i had, didnt have any of the rust all of the other ones did of that same year you saw on the road....

the next big thing is at least spraying off the majority of the salt residue. doesnt have to be a complete wash, but at least enough to get most of the road salt off of the vehicle...

i used to never take any of my vehicles through a brush wash. well, married life, a kid, work, gym, etc. really makes it hard to get out and hand wash my truck all the time! lol. so i found a really good one by my house that i use religiously. that being said. to combat the extreme "wear and tear" i get it professionally detailed waxed once a year. usually after winter. inlcuding a polyurethane "sealer" treatment that is applied to the clear cloat like wax. i believe you cant buy it anywhere over the counter. but i guess. long story short it will stay on your vehicle longer than caranuba......

all that being said. you know what. I REALLY wish all i had to worry about was keeping my sun shade up so my dash doesnt rott! or my tires dry rotting from the hot weather...... for all you hot climate guys out there. I HATE YOU!!! lol

Old 09-09-2012 | 03:16 AM
Derrick Miller

What are some things I could do to my 2005 Dakota to prevent rusting? spec. rear wheel well rust. Im paranoid about my baby.... Winter in Kansas is rough

Old 09-09-2012 | 01:47 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crod
a good GREASE undercoating will prevent the truck from rusting "forever". i said in another post at about the 13yr. mark the vehicle i had, didnt have any of the rust all of the other ones did of that same year you saw on the road....

the next big thing is at least spraying off the majority of the salt residue. doesnt have to be a complete wash, but at least enough to get most of the road salt off of the vehicle...

i used to never take any of my vehicles through a brush wash. well, married life, a kid, work, gym, etc. really makes it hard to get out and hand wash my truck all the time! lol. so i found a really good one by my house that i use religiously. that being said. to combat the extreme "wear and tear" i get it professionally detailed waxed once a year. usually after winter. inlcuding a polyurethane "sealer" treatment that is applied to the clear cloat like wax. i believe you cant buy it anywhere over the counter. but i guess. long story short it will stay on your vehicle longer than caranuba......

all that being said. you know what. I REALLY wish all i had to worry about was keeping my sun shade up so my dash doesnt rott! or my tires dry rotting from the hot weather...... for all you hot climate guys out there. I HATE YOU!!! lol

Lucky for me I get both extremes living in Omaha Nebraska. Not as severe cold as up north, but we can easily get -40F with windchill in winter, and 110F in the summer. It generally makes for a strange experience.

Old 09-09-2012 | 03:13 PM
12Sport
Professional

Originally Posted by Derrick Miller
What are some things I could do to my 2005 Dakota to prevent rusting? spec. rear wheel well rust. Im paranoid about my baby.... Winter in Kansas is rough
Take it to the wand wash frequently and spray up into the wheel wells thoroughly. While you are there use a brush to remove any dirt/mud that tends to gather at the top of the arch.

Quick Reply: Winter Washing