4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winter Washing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009 | 07:55 PM
LongIslandRAM
|
Professional
Default Winter Washing

Fellas -

As we all know up here in the north keeping a clean truck in the winter is hard. We were just hit with a nice blizzard here in the North East and after the wonderful snow comes the salt marks. I just picked up my truck on Saturday and unfortunately it is covered with salt marks. Actually going to a "self wash" car wash tonight. The tough part about washing the truck is freeze ups. I have turned cars/trucks into sheets of ice in the winter. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or secrets they are willing to share about washing your truck in the winter.

Old 12-22-2009 | 08:10 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Yup, do it once in Dec and again in April

Old 12-22-2009 | 08:19 PM
Justin89
Rookie

Hey do a self wash and stay in the bay for aslong as you can and shammy it really good make sure to get all the rubber door seals!! and handles really well there is no good way to do it

I take my truck to the self wash a block away from where i work then just let it sit in our shop for a couple hours

Old 12-22-2009 | 08:26 PM
dizzyttc
Rookie

I also gice my truck a good coat of wax just before winter just a bit of added protection knowing it won,t get washed as often in the cold.

Old 12-22-2009 | 09:18 PM
kevinc66
Professional

Hey LongIslandRam, I use to live not too far from you(Huntington) for over 20 years and what I use to do is pay the $5(back then) for the drive through car wash and do that from December through March...............................Kevin

Old 12-23-2009 | 12:10 AM
Justin89
Rookie

Wax goes a long way I waxed my truck before the first snow and it is still shining a month and a half later

Old 12-23-2009 | 09:13 AM
topgun
Captain

The bottom of the truck is where you have problems with the salt, can't wax that. So be sure to spray it off really good. If you use the drive through, go real slow over the bottom sprayers.

Old 12-23-2009 | 09:40 AM
AL67

I usually bring a bucket of warm water and wash mit with me to avoid using the brush as it scratches the heck out of the paint.

Old 12-23-2009 | 09:47 AM
topgun
Captain

Yeah, never use the brush on your truck and never use an automatic wash with brushes.

Old 12-23-2009 | 09:48 AM
rdculus
Veteran

some of the drive through bays, (the touchless ones, not the ones with brushes) have dryers that blow the truck dry that helps to prevent icing. When your done washing use a rag and dry off the door seals and rubbers in the jamb. After washing park in the sun, even though it is below freezing the sun on your truck will melt the ice off the paint.
Last trick I know of is after I wash if I have to park outside I am careful not to close my door completely when i park. I just close it to the first "click" so I can lock it, but I dont close it completely. This keeps the doors from feezing shut and tearing your rubbers when you open them.
Im from AB Canada and I wash my truck quite often in the winter. sometimes its kindof a pain but it keeps the truck looking good!
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Winter Washing