4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Help installing HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:45 AM
zevrosenthal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help installing HID Lights

Hi - I have a 2009 Ram1500 Laramie and am looking for some help installing HID lights. I ordered the lights from hidextra.com:
  • H11 for low beam,
  • 9005 for high beam
  • H10 for fogs
and have been back to my local dodge dealer twice to install who insists these are not the right lights for the 2009 Ram.

Can anybody confirm if these are the right lights for the Ram and which lights go into which positions? Also, if you can point me to any detailed instructions on this forum or others to install the lights from hidextra.com, it would be much appreciated.

I've attached photos of my RAM for reference:
  • High Beam (upper and lower bulbs lit)
  • Low Beam & Fog (just upper lit for low beam and separate fog bulb)
I figure the more exact detail I can give my dealer, the easier it will be for the mechanic to install.

The mechanic said, in order to pass New York State inspection, both bulbs (upper & lower in my attached pic) have to light and he said he couldn't figure out how to do it/i didn't have the right parts and also that the bulb I had for fog was wrong.

Thanks - any assistance would be much appreciated! I love my RAM but the factory headlamps are just too dim.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/BROSEN%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/BROSEN%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Last edited by zevrosenthal; 02-02-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
crod
All Star

you have the right lights. the first problem is taking it to the dealer. they generally never know anything about ANYTHNING aftermarket. the only advice i could give you is take it to a custom accessory shop. trucks, tinting, remote starters etc. they specialize in that kind of installation/do it all the time....

Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 PM
ran jr
Veteran

I'm sorry but if that dealer doesn't even know what bulbs fit, I sure as hell wouldn't let them touch my truck.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:08 PM
drought_buster
Rookie

I did a 30sec search for you

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...installed.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...eadlights.html

Last edited by drought_buster; 12-25-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:18 PM
zevrosenthal

Thanks. I noticed several posts that don't recommend installing HID High-beam; just low beam and fog. Is that correct? Has anybody installed all 3 and, if so, happy with the result. Also, I got my kits from hidextra - will i also need capacitor?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:38 AM
jason2922
Veteran

Yes, I've seen others do all three. Small problem though, if you plan on flashing someone with your HIGHS, not really possible due to the fact the HIDs need a 30 sec warm up time.

Yes, with quad lights, you'll need the capacitor for them to operate correctly. You were supposed to write that message in the text box when you ordered your HIDs from hidextra. They would've sent those to you with the kit for free.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the high and low beam hid lights in my truck and love them. Its true that you can't flash people since they do take about 20 seconds to warm up but they light up the road and the ditches so much better with the highbeams now. I would highly suggest them for anyone who lives in deer country because they light up the sides of the road alot more then the oem lights

Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Kbcd
Smile hid install

I must be missing something I have a new ram 1500 as soon as I plugged in the hid lights i lost the r/s headlights, now everyone that I talk to in Montreal that installs on the dodge trucks tell me that it's a nightmare to get the lights to work, is it possible that the day running light system is the problem ?? do you have the drl on the american trucks

kbcd

Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
09RAM4WD
Professional

my truck does not have drls (us).....the drl is problem whats causing your problemas

Old 04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
NH HemiRamFan
Rookie

I went through 3 sets of HIDs till I found HIDxtra. I got the H11s lows and H10 fogs (also know as 9145s). You HAVE to have the capacitor, if you didnt get it just call them and they will send it. If you have the lows hooked up and one light doesnt come on switch the polarity at the ballast for that light (just unplug it and turn it around and plug it back in). Always make sure (and to all us DIY guys its a no brainer but lets remeber when we first started spinning wrenches!) that the pos and neg wires are lined up. Red in, red out and black in, blk out with the capacitors. If you fry it you just need a new capacitor ($9.00 i think from HIDxtra). If you dont want the hassle there are upgraded halogens from sylvania. But if you've had HIDs before its tough to go back. I could go on forever on this topic (if i havent already) but remember that HIDs are supposed to be in projector lenses. So remember that when you pick your temp, i.e brightness as the reflector headlight pocket the Ram has will blind oncoming traffic if they are to bright.

Quick Reply: Help installing HID Lights