4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random honking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Dan Frerichs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random honking

Started my 2010 Sport this morning and backed out of the driveway and the horn started honking then stopped. Drove to work and the horn stayed on for a couple minutes and nothing I did would stop it. Even pulled over and shut the truck off. Got to work and shut it off and locked it. About 10 minutes later
the horn came on steady for a couple of minutes then shut off with no keys or anything in it, just sitting there.
It's at the dealer now and they say they've never heard of this happening and it might be a hard one to trace down as the horn is a sensor switch that tells the evic system to honk the horn.
On the way to the dealer it honked steady halfway there. Then of course by the time I was two blocks away it stopped and seemed to work fine again.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Never heard of that one before. I bet the people you drove behind were pissed lol

Did you try resetting the computer by removing a battery cable for a few minutes and then hooking it back up? That has solved some of my computer problems before.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Dan Frerichs

Ya, I had quite a few angry looks. Especially at the red light behind somebody and we were both turning right. Horn was on steady!
I wish it would have started honking like that when I pulled it into the service reception bay. I'd probably get instant service, and a laugh!
Good tip, I'll remember that battery thing. This is my first Dodge Ram after being a F150 driver for the last 6 years.
Strange problem here but I love this truck. I'm no longer a Ford guy....
Hope the dealer can solve it and this won't be the start of computer problems. Only 4200 KM on it.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:08 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Probably no big deal. My wipers came on once and wouldn't turn off, I reset the computer and all was back to normal. That's been 20k miles ago and no problems since.

If you have the REN or RER radio (the ones with the big LCD screen) make sure you remove the fuse to the radio before unplugging and plugging the battery or you could damage the radio.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tombogue09
If you have the REN or RER radio (the ones with the big LCD screen) make sure you remove the fuse to the radio before unplugging and plugging the battery or you could damage the radio.
Can you elaborate more on that?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 04-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Dan Frerichs

Another good tip. Yes I do have a REN.

Thanks,

Old 04-28-2010, 02:58 PM
tombogue09
Captain

When you hook up the battery there is some surge or something that could possibly damage these radios, thats about all I know about it. I think it says that in the manual, I heard it on the forum somewhere.

Of course I found this out after I had already reset the computer without removing the fuse, but my RER works fine.

Last edited by tombogue09; 04-28-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Stunna980
Rookie

That is weird, dealership will take care of that for ya. The story made me laugh. Thanx i needed that.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Dan Frerichs

Ya, reminded me of an old GMC S10 I had years ago that the horn honked on and off when you put the turn signal on. That was funny!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 PM
eclipsems
Professional

Unfortunately with cars increasingly being controlled by computers, weird 'software' glitches are becoming more common place. Ever have your computer act unpredictably or crash/fail? Now imagine the same system in a car controlling every aspect of it . . . . .

Quick Reply: Random honking