4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another towing capacity rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my 2003 Durango could pull 7400 lbs with the 5.9L with only 250 HP dont know the torque without trailer brakes just surge brakes on the trailer and no bags or helpers of any kind 70 mph on the freeway then this truck can surely do it even with 355's. 7000 loaded is a fair amount to expect your truck to pull especially since you probably putting spring bags and the lot.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
DodgeBrat

Originally Posted by teton
This is true, the 09-10 are identical, the testing standards changed and it turned out the 09 towing capacity had been significantly underrated.

2010 is the correct towing capacity for 09 models as well.
I dont think this is true. In the end it does not matter. But if you get caught in a mountainous province or state and you have someone pull you over and check your weights you might get your truck and trailer seized!

I believe that is what happens in B.C. Canada!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgeBrat
I dont think this is true. In the end it does not matter. But if you get caught in a mountainous province or state and you have someone pull you over and check your weights you might get your truck and trailer seized!

How are they going to check the max towing capacity on a 1/2 ton?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

It is true, the change was in the paperwork, the 09 and 10 Ram are the same otherwise.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:15 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

I don't believe they do weight checks on non-commercial vehicles here in the US. If they do, it isn't anywhere near me (MN).

Rob

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 PM
TurboGPZ
Professional

I could well imagine an insurance company doing a post incident weight check as a way of limiting their payout. Authorities would be well within their rights to do the same to find fault and file charges.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
teton

yeah your right....i just made that up
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/07...50-pounds.html

Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Orange crush
Amateur

Thanks for the info. The information I've found now on the trailer says it is actually around 5600 lbs. The dealer is installing a blue ox sway and weight distributing hitch and brake controller. I do have to go through some hills but will mainly be towing in Ohio maybe 6 or 7 times a year. From what I'm gathering I should probably be fine. The thing that worries me is the camper is almost 12 ft tall, so wind could be an issue. Teton thanks for the link that eased my mind. My first trip will be a 100 miles each way on next week so we'll see what happens.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:01 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by teton
yeah your right....i just made that up
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/07...50-pounds.html
Don't know that I would trust much from that arcticle. This statement is pure nonsense - you could get the 3.21's in the 2009 too - I have them.

[quote]The 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 adds a new 3.21 rear axle option for all three cab configurations equipped with a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 and two-wheel drive only. The taller (numerically lower) final drive ratio is similar to the rear axle size that GM and Ford offer in their XFE (3.08) and former SFE (3.15) fuel efficiency pickups.[/uote]

Quick Reply: Another towing capacity rant