4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 06:21 AM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I've used Earls products ..... You will need to put this inline to the stock one.

http://www.holley.com/index.asp?Division=Earls

I think you're right and if there is room just above the plastic bumper spoiler, that might be a good location for the add-on.

That way you get pre-cooled tranny fluid from the add-on going into the stock one in front of the radiator. Prevents adding more heat to the water rad.

Old 08-10-2010 | 08:47 AM
Cal'sFirstRam
Amateur

I had tow package as an option on my window sticker. So I looked at my build sheet from factory and it has the (NHDP) Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler and then (NMCP) Heavy Duty Engine Cooling listed for my truck. I have a 2009 Laramie.

Old 08-10-2010 | 08:59 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Cal'sFirstRam
I had tow package as an option on my window sticker. So I looked at my build sheet from factory and it has the (NHDP) Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler and then (NMCP) Heavy Duty Engine Cooling listed for my truck. I have a 2009 Laramie.

Interesting, what is the build date on the truck? There is nothing in the builder for 2009 or 2010 that shows an option like that.

Old 08-10-2010 | 09:18 AM
Cal'sFirstRam
Amateur

My build date was Feb of 2009. I had one of the first rambox trucks on the lot. I was on a dealer wait list. As far as the build sheet; I'm talking about your truck build sheet from the factory. Not the build a truck link online. If you go to chrysler's website; you can request a buildsheet for your truck. You give them the vin and some other info and they can send you the factory build sheet for your truck. Everything that the factory installed. This way, you see what they put in and what the dealer added later when it got to the lot. I wanted one, because I have the VES system, but not really according to the factory. The rams didn't really get the true ves system. Your getting charged for it on your sticker, but your only getting an overhead video monitor. But, thats another story. Anyways, maybe someone can chime in on this and give you the link to get to that chrysler page. It was on a previous post here.

Old 08-10-2010 | 12:09 PM
turk1270
Veteran

the only tow option on the 09 that you could purchase was the tow hitch which was a 350.00 if i remember correctly the so called tow pkg shows as an option on the build sheet but it was standard.my ram has the oil cooler,trans cooler and hd radiator and i did not get the tow hitch from the factory i bought it from the dealer for alot cheaper and put on myself every 09 ram ive seen has the oil cooler,trans cooler and hd radiator and i would imagine the 2010 are the same

Old 08-10-2010 | 12:46 PM
Cal'sFirstRam
Amateur

Thomas, one of the guys at chrysler sent me my build sheet and a list of standard equipment. The heavy duty tranny cooler is listed as optional equipment. Do they have a standard cooler and then a heavy duty?...Don't know. Maybe it's part of a package? I know on my window sticker for the truck; the heavy duty engine cooler is listed as standard equipment. The only place that list my heavy duty tranny cooler is the build sheet. The list is pretty detailed though...example, if you have the 32 gallon tank option, there is a code for that and then another code that covers the extra gas to make the difference between the 26 gallon; because you supposed to get a full tank of gas code (39LA) lol....

Old 08-11-2010 | 07:13 PM
TI 3VOM
|
Veteran

I checked at the dealer today. My sheet show the HD tranny cooler and thought I would check if there was something bigger, better and baddder available.

They show two coolers, one HD, one not, but they both have the same product number. Go figure, HD isn't all that HD is it?

They did say if I added a second cooler, my warranty would be 100%. They did say that other dealers may not be so nice, but couldn't see why anyone would have an issue with trying to keep the tranny cooler. If I had issues, they said I could get the dealer on the raod to call them about it.

Old 08-12-2010 | 11:15 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Keep us posted on your solution. I am also interested in adding an inline second cooler. I was looking at the lines from the trans to the cooler last night and looks like getting the plumbing to work will be the biggest challenge - I don't want the hacked up job look, so I am hoping for someone to sell a well designed kit.

I already have an Earls cooler but the plumbing is what I haven't figured out

Old 08-12-2010 | 03:55 PM
TI 3VOM
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Keep us posted on your solution. I am also interested in adding an inline second cooler. I was looking at the lines from the trans to the cooler last night and looks like getting the plumbing to work will be the biggest challenge - I don't want the hacked up job look, so I am hoping for someone to sell a well designed kit.

I already have an Earls cooler but the plumbing is what I haven't figured out
That deffinately looks like the biggest issue. I will see what I come up with, I just don't want to cook the tranny even though it is under warranty. It would still kill a camping trip.

Old 09-06-2010 | 10:06 AM
Joey Buentello
Veteran

add a small e-fan to your trans cooler

Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler