4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problems with fan shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 AM
big4x4dodge09
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry problems with fan shroud?

well i hopped into my truck to come to work and started it up, and i heard the worst noise i had ever heard. it was so ridiculously loud. i immediately turned the truck off. i thought i had done something wrong. i checked my programmer connections, checked my CAI, checked exhaust, made sure no animal was in the engine compartment. nothing.... so i got back in and started it up, and there was that sound. it was so loud, neighbors were coming outside to see what it was....other than being nosy. but this time, i paid attention and felt where the vibration was coming from. i crawled underneath my truck and found that one of the little snap things that hold the bottom fan shroud in, and just popped off and it was sucked up into my fan. that was the noise! so i went ahead and removed the shroud, (which was totally shredded apart, ill have to get pics up of it) i inspected the fan, each blade individually, and not a thing was wrong with it. (with it being plastic, i thought at least it would have been destroyed. but no. so i contacted the dodge dealer and they said they would get me another one in, but since they had never heard of this problem, they have to do their research or whatever BS they have to do. THEN my part will come in....he said about a month. URGH! so now i have to drive around with nothing protecting my fan and something else gettin tossed back up in there. anyone else have a problem with this?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Second time I've heard this! Had someone tell me they went to test drive one and when the salesman cranked it up the fan started hitting the shroud. Told me the salesman tried to play it off as "teenage vandals" messed with the truck.

I fish with the guy quite a bit, have dove hunted with him, he ain't THAT stupid.

Dodge lost a sale to GM that day...

Old 08-24-2010, 03:18 PM
big4x4dodge09
Professional

hahaha, i can def say teenage vandals didnt mess wtih it. def made me pretty mad though. ill have to get to get a picture up of it soon

Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 PM
72combo
Champion

crap happens....has anyone else had this issue?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 AM
big4x4dodge09
Professional

sure does happen. i havent heard anything or seen anything online as of this happening. maybe they just didnt connect it very well? oh well...fan isnt damaged. ill just have them put on a new one!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Dude, go to Blake Fulenwider. Star sucks.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 AM
big4x4dodge09
Professional

yea no joke. star does suck. i might ride out there when i get off work. i have to go out that way anyway to go home

Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your off road driving or sitting in traffic with 100+ temps it is not an issue to run without.

I am a little surprised the dealer did not give you an ear full for removing. Typically they need to have the failed part on the truck, and this is not a Dodge thing. I experienced this with my puddle lights and my dad experienced this with a battery on his Z71.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
LVRR
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Second time I've heard this! Had someone tell me they went to test drive one and when the salesman cranked it up the fan started hitting the shroud. Told me the salesman tried to play it off as "teenage vandals" messed with the truck.

I fish with the guy quite a bit, have dove hunted with him, he ain't THAT stupid.

Dodge lost a sale to GM that day...
Sorry, but that is the dumbest reason to switch to a different company. If if it had happened to a GM dealer he probably would have said the same thing.

If I went out to by a new vehicle based on the honesty of salesmen and some outlandish statements, I would still be walking.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LVRR
Sorry, but that is the dumbest reason to switch to a different company. If if it had happened to a GM dealer he probably would have said the same thing.

If I went out to by a new vehicle based on the honesty of salesmen and some outlandish statements, I would still be walking.
I do not think it was due to what the salesman said, but probably more due to the quaility this person was about to pay 30K+ for.

Quick Reply: problems with fan shroud?