4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problem Guides
Print Wikipost

burnt oil smell on new 2010 dodge ram 5.7 hemi

Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
RJP3526
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt oil smell on new 2010 dodge ram 5.7 hemi

I have a fairly new (March) 2010 Dodge Ram SLT 4x4 quad with 5.7 Hemi - I noticed this past week when I hit the gas hard, say to pass a vehicle, and it jumps up quickly to say 70 or 80mph, I get a bit of a burning oil type smell coming from somewhere, have not pinpointed where yet. Even when I stop & park the truck immediately after a hard run, I can smell this burnt oil type smell. Never noticed it before. Only has 2100 miles on it, and has only had its 1st oil change at the dealership so far. It is a multi-displacement engine (shuts down cylinders to conserve gas on highway). Are there any known problems or issues with this on the 2010 hemi's? Or is it considered normal to have some oil burning under very heavy acceleration? This is first vehicle of this type I've had so its new to me. Any ideas or advice - hoping it is not an actual engine problem or some type of blow-by the rings, etc - should not be with brand new motor and 2k miles on it right? I am a bit concerned about it though.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

That'd more than likely be the smell of new roasty-toasty catalytic converter. Nothin to worry about.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
DwRam
Professional

"has only had its 1st oil change at the dealership so far."

I know my first oil filter was a real %$#*@ to get off. The factory doesn't lube the seal and they must use a wrench to tighten it. So I would double check for a possible leak at the oil filter. They may have left the old filter gasket in place. And the new filter may not be sealing properly under higher pressures. Just a thought especially if you didn't notice the smell before your first oil change.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 PM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DwRam
"has only had its 1st oil change at the dealership so far."

I know my first oil filter was a real %$#*@ to get off. The factory doesn't lube the seal and they must use a wrench to tighten it. So I would double check for a possible leak at the oil filter. They may have left the old filter gasket in place. And the new filter may not be sealing properly under higher pressures. Just a thought especially if you didn't notice the smell before your first oil change.
Go with this advice and check out the filter very well. This leak has happened to me twice now....the oil leaks down and hits the exhaust as you drive and you smell it well. You should not be smelling a catalytic Converter from the interior as previously stated....it exhausts to the back.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
JRI
Professional

I'll agree with the other posters and suggest checking the oil filter after that valve covers. Burnt oil smell is not normal so keep looking until you find the leak.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 AM
C0D34RCH3R

I stumbled across this post in Google and wanted to share my personal findings. I own a 2010 Charger RT and experienced the exact same burning smell. I got under the car and checked for leaks. I was also suspecting my wife may have run over a plastic bag, which may have melted to the exhaust.

I found that a blob of grease had fallen from the steering box onto the top of the exhaust. I wiped the grease off and the smell went away...no problems since.

I don't know if Dodge trucks are built in this same fashion, but it's worth a look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: burnt oil smell on new 2010 dodge ram 5.7 hemi