4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Start Range

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:32 PM
bleuet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Range

Hi everyone!

I have searched quite a bit on this subject but cannot find much that really helps.

I saw videos and a few threads. The one about placing the remote to your head to improve the range. In my oppinion it might have something to do with the fact that the remote is at a different orientation. Or, the head acts a base to improve signal propagation. (Similar principal applies to radio antennas on fiberglass aircraft. To improve the reception and transmission, a metal plate is installed.)

I have two fobs. Both fob battery voltages are good.

When using etheir fob, the same result occurs. The best I can get is about 70 to 80 feet. And it does not work through walls.

So, what can it be? The remotes. I don't think so. If you open the fob, you will notice a very long run on the circuit board. It acts as the antenna. Maybe a longer antenna would work, but I have not tried it yet.

Maybe it is the Truck receiver antenna. Where is it? Hidden. Can someone tell me where it is located? It might need to be relocated or an amplifier may need to be installed to increase its sensitivity. Is there a recall on the suject? Or a mod?

Or is it the environment. Interference could be a factor. But I doubt it. I get the same result regardless of where I am.

If you have any ideas on how to improve the range on the OEM remote starter system, please feel free to comment. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I can talk about the " holding it to your head" idea. I tried it tonight in fact. There was about thirty other cars scattered across the parking lot. I was on one side, and the truck was on the other. Probably 120 feet or so from me. I held the fob out at arm's length with the fob vertical in my hand (panic button up). Pressed the unlock button and the truck did not respond. I then held the fob in the same position against my mouth (lower jaw towards the back) and pressed unlock again. This time the truck responded.

I did this exact same test with my other arm and by holding it up to my jaw and the truck never responded. The difference???

I have a filling on one of my teeth on my left side and that's the only filling that I have.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 AM
72combo
Champion

Mine works well since a battery change in the FOBs. It works from our kitchen would put in thru 4 walls and approximately 70 feet away. It starts good but sometimes gotta move one wall closer to lock it.. I think the dealer did something to it one time it was there cuz it used to give us a hard time unless it has something to do with going to a Nav radio? Anyway my wife starts it as they pull into the shuttle lot from work and it starts as they are pulling in and well it's a good distance easy 100 feet.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
706jim
Veteran

Mine is good for at least 600'.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Hop
Professional

I park my truck on the 10th row back at work. Which is about 400' from the door and I can start my rig. I can even look out the 4th floor window at work and start it from inside the office thru the glass.. Nice and warm by the time I get to it in the winter.
--Hop

Old 11-11-2010, 08:35 PM
bleuet

600'!!! That is quite interesting. Do you know if your vehicle was modded?

Last edited by bleuet; 11-29-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
bleuet

Do you know where the antenna is located on the truck? I am thinking that you have a different setup than mine.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
rrdstarr
Rookie

I think you'll have to ask the dealer where the antenna is housed. I started putting the remote under my jaw ten years ago and it does greatly extend the range of the remote. I normally get 300' with the dodge. Our 2009 Mitsu only 120'. Our 2005 Mazda was 100'.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:58 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get several hundred feet range also, especially from the remote start button. i also occasionally get 0 feet with the common fob issue.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 AM
706jim
Veteran

Originally Posted by bleuet
600"!!! That is quite interesting. Do you know if your vehicle was modded?
Bone stock.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Range