4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Snow Plow on a 1500?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:31 PM
volunteer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Here's my 2010 Laramie with a full sized (7.5 foot) Western plow rig attached. I did add a 2" front leveling kit from ReadyLift.

Looks great and works great, too !
OMG you are crazy! You will surely die!

Seriously, nice setup. Would never do that on my truck, but I'll bet you can move the snow.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Baggerdude
Amateur

Originally Posted by volunteer
OMG you are crazy! You will surely die!

Seriously, nice setup. Would never do that on my truck, but I'll bet you can move the snow.
Well, I have to have a truck to run to the transfer station (dump) weekly as we don't have service out here. And, I do have lots of driveway to plow. I'm sure I could get someone to do it for me, but I don't like depending on others in times when I have to get to work.

I toyed with the idea of getting a 'beater' to do these things, but I enjoy new. Since I've done this many time with new truck, the wear and tear is minimal.

I also have a smallish Buyers salt sander that I hook up. It's just a small SUV/tailgate rig that activates remotely from the cab. Having the drivway face north and snaking down thru the woods makes having a plow and salter necessary to keep it clear for work, deliveries and potential emergency vehicles.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Here's my 2010 Laramie with a full sized (7.5 foot) Western plow rig attached. I did add a 2" front leveling kit from ReadyLift.

Looks great and works great, too !
Nice lookin rig baggerdude...!!!!
Let us know if you deploy an airbag huhhhh....lol.
Just kiddin, i hope you dont, they hurt like a bastard when they hit you

Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by RochesterRob
I would like to start by saying that I DO own my own plowing company. I have 70 residential contracts and a select few parking lot contracts. Also I have been plowing for 10 years in Rochester NY and we get some pretty nasty storms and overall accumulation around here. I have, and still do, run a few different trucks over the years, and this is my feeling on plowing with a 1500.

Depending upon the application, and the manufacturer of the plow you should have no problem plowing with a 1500. Certain Plows will not even offer mounts for trucks that cannot handle the weight or load of a plow on a given truck. You see people plowing all the time in s-10's, jeeps, and other small suv's. So why would you think that your 1500 couldn't handle plowing. As I stated it depends upon your application, and the amount of use, and abuse you intend to put on the truck. I will give you a few quick examples, I personally plowed with a 2000 Dakota quad cab 4.7 for 5 years (miss that truck) running it down 50 driveways every single storm. Never once, did I wish for a bigger truck. In fact, I had another guy driving my F250 for me, doing a few really large driveways and my lots. The smaller truck had better turning radius, and all the power and traction I ever needed to do driveways. I also would meet my other driver at the end of each route and we would finish one large lot together.
I have also seen guys running brand new 2500 Duramax Allison set-ups pop transmissions by not knowing how to plow, and using the engine and transmission to really move the snow rather than momentum and the weight of the truck.( 10 years, 6 trucks, never once popped a transmission). My point is the truck can handle it just fine if you know what you are doing.

If you do decide to put a plow on your 1500, I would suggest you look at Boss plows. They have 7' 7.5' & 8' ploy blades that do take a beating, and keep the weight down which will help with the wear on front end parts. Also look into Timbrens, these will help also
JMHO YMMV

ETA; My dodge dealer installed the Boss set-up on that Dakota, and will be installing one on my 09 1500 in a few years when I move this truck into the rotation.

Regards
RochesterRob
If you are using your truck for business I believe the warranty is void anyway or shortened for sure.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Baggerdude
Amateur

Originally Posted by HEMI5150
Nice lookin rig baggerdude...!!!!
Let us know if you deploy an airbag huhhhh....lol.
Just kiddin, i hope you dont, they hurt like a bastard when they hit you
I've had several pickups with air bags and plows. Have not had an air bag deployment yet. Hope that continues to be true.

Why would the Dodge 1500 air bag deploy more readily than the 2500? Or, the Ford F150 with the same/same setup?

Beats me.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had several pickups with air bags and plows. Have not had an air bag deployment yet. Hope that continues to be true.

Why would the Dodge 1500 air bag deploy more readily than the 2500? Or, the Ford F150 with the same/same setup?

Beats me.
You're not supposed to put one on an F150 either.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Baggerdude
Amateur

Originally Posted by oldjeep
You're not supposed to put one on an F150 either.

I've heard that, too. And, same/same about hooking this plow up to my previous generation Dakota V8 Quad Cab ... and other's I've had as well.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. Never. We do get enough snow here to warrant the need for one, but I would never put a plow on a 1500. Just like I wouldn't put a fifth wheel hitch in a 1500 as well. The trucks were simply not made for it. That's a pretty decent chunk of weight hanging over the front of your truck, and you're just asking to increased wear on ball joints, u joints, bearings, and anything else that moves on the truck.

The 1500 line of trucks aren't trucks. You can argue that with me until you are blue in the face (or until your fingers bleed), but I'll never be swayed from my opinion. When I was driving my 1997 Ram all over the place, it was not uncommon for me to throw 1000+ pounds of weight in the bed of the truck and fly on down the road. There is no way I would do the same in my 2010. Not one single chance of it. It has the power for sure, but the suspension is simply not there. The idea of a 1500 being the workhorse of America died in the 80's. I'm not bashing on Dodge either. This is true of all three of the 1/2's currently on the market today.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I couldn't agree more, trucks these days (half-ton series) are built for comfort, and style. I'm not complaining, considering my commute everyday is very nice, compared to trucks I had from the early and mid 90's. The market of half-ton trucks now tries to compete with sedan styling, just look at the interiors. The first thing I noticed test driving my '09 was how well it cornered, and would handle over dips and ruts in the roads. It completely reminded me of my sedan, especially with the coiled rear end they have now. It still hauls/tows everything I need it too, but buying a 2500 would of been more then I needed.

Quick Reply: Snow Plow on a 1500?