4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM
oyen24
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob

Has anyone here had any problem with their key fob? I noticed that mine is starting to act up. Sometimes it takes a a few tries just to unlock my truck, and now i have to be about 10ft away just for it to unlock or even activate my remote start. Just wondering if I need to take it to the dealer and have them look at it, unless you guys have any advice.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

I do not have the remote start but the fob was real unreliable. Would work fine one minute, then press unlock 50x before it would work. Had final service appt before the 36k mile warranty up and they replaced the fob, no questions asked. Even saw the diagnostics test result, battery tested ok so not sure what was the issue but new one works ok, even from 100 ft I can still lock the truck on the first attempt.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Stonewhiteram
Rookie

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...s-working.html

There has been a lot said on this subject. I am still putting up with it. Seems to be worse when I travel long distances then try to unlock it after I park it. Stealer response is the classic "can not duplicate situation"

Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 PM
hemimike
Rookie

They are junk very unreliable.I had the dealer reprogram it and it still won't work properly.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM
savage_46
Professional

take the valet key key out & crack open the fob. theres a small indent where you can put a small screwdriver or the key blade in & turn. pull apart the fob halves, & check the battery. pretty common that the circuit board contacts for battery wear into the battery & rub on it. just turn the battery a little, & reassemble fob. as long as your fairly gentle, you wont break the fob.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:20 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common problem, mine does it once every couple weeks. Havn't had any luck adjusting the battery, but if I flex the case it will usually start working again.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Shreve T
Amateur

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this... Just last week while in Tulsa my fob went crazy.. Hit the fob to remote start the truck and it would only beep once.. NO START.. tried 2 more times and no go...

Thought this is odd so tried again the next day still would not start from the key fob.. It took 3-4 times to unlock the doors...

Now that I've been back home in Louisiana I haven't had any problems.. Who knows.. I do know it's going back to the dealer so they can figure out why my NAV has been shutting down and re-booting back up...