4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not Having LSD on 3.55 is that poor choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
itaintachev
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Having LSD on 3.55 is that poor choice?

If I would have paid attention and known I would have gone 3.92 with the LSD. I guess I never realized the 3.55 does not have it. I live in WI where I use the 4x4 and the worst thing I can think of is this shiney new truck with a one wheel wonder. Why would dodge do this? I just figured all trucks were LSD these days... I got such a good deal on the truck I over looked it..

Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by itaintachev
If I would have paid attention and known I would have gone 3.92 with the LSD. I guess I never realized the 3.55 does not have it. I live in WI where I use the 4x4 and the worst thing I can think of is this shiney new truck with a one wheel wonder. Why would dodge do this? I just figured all trucks were LSD these days... I got such a good deal on the truck I over looked it..
Nothing that a couple thousand bucks won't cure.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM
USAF1
Professional

I agree, I think all 4x4 should have LSD. However, hard to believe you didn't ask the Q or go through "build-a-truck" on Dodge's website or pick it up from this forum or something to know that point ahead of time on a $30K purchase. And in snow country no less.... I had the same question while looking at new trucks (and comparing window stickers) at the dealership and was totally surprised that the LSD is not std with 4x4.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 PM
itaintachev
Professional

@usaf1 - Its not hard to believe, I did not use this forum when I bought, came here after. I have a cousin that is a dealer and I picked out of inventory it was the bighorn or a trx, the others were basic SLT. I DID have a 2003 Laramie with the 3.92 and LSD, I just never figured it was an option. I picked up my truck for below dealer price and I got 0% financing so that being said I feel fine with what I have besides the LSD.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM
matt3
Professional

You'll be alright. I live in Chicago and while we don't get the amount of snow you do in WI, we still get a fair amount. Just put it in 4x4 and go. I think as long as your not offroading in deep snow you'll be alright.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM
706jim
Veteran

Originally Posted by itaintachev
@usaf1 - Its not hard to believe, I did not use this forum when I bought, came here after. I have a cousin that is a dealer and I picked out of inventory it was the bighorn or a trx, the others were basic SLT. I DID have a 2003 Laramie with the 3.92 and LSD, I just never figured it was an option. I picked up my truck for below dealer price and I got 0% financing so that being said I feel fine with what I have besides the LSD.
There's no question that the most effective way to get the LSD is to order it from the factory when spec'ing out the truck. That said, if you got it below cost for 0%, you could justify paying the two or so grand it would take to replace the gears and carrier.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
USAF1
Professional

I guess you did get a good deal! Wow. And you know, try it this winter and see what happens. I drove station wagons with my kids growing up (in the 80s) in all sorts of weather on week long ski trips to Austria and Switzerland in the dead of winter (we lived in Europe -Germany/snow country-while stationed in the USAF) and never got stuck. No LSD, no 4x4 and no snow tires ( I did have to use chains a couple of times). You might find out you can live without LSD.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
TheDarkFox
Rookie

This thread brings up a good point. Just what in the hell is dodge doing making essentially a one-wheel drive pickup? To me this is just absurd. I'm going to have to dump X amount of dollars to get either an air locking differential kit, or swap out the dif entirely to actually get traction in 2wd (mine came with 3.55 as well).

And another thing, the manual advises you not to drive in 4wd on hard surfaces, or for long periods of time. Why dont they design a 4wd system that actually works?! Why would you make something that destroys itself with its intended use?

I'll sing the dodge song just as much as the next guy, but these two items really irritate me. Anybody?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 PM
JKGEEPER

Yep, I don't understand it either. Why would any truck not have an LSD in it? I bought a demo that I ran up on for one heck of deal and had no idea until after getting home that it was a 3.55 w/o lsd. I am looking at one of the Richmond Gear traction locking Powertrax units. Seems like this would be a simple install and a lot more cost effective to boot. Anyone try one of these units yet?

Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 AM
kpevin
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDarkFox
This thread brings up a good point. Just what in the hell is dodge doing making essentially a one-wheel drive pickup? To me this is just absurd. I'm going to have to dump X amount of dollars to get either an air locking differential kit, or swap out the dif entirely to actually get traction in 2wd (mine came with 3.55 as well).

And another thing, the manual advises you not to drive in 4wd on hard surfaces, or for long periods of time. Why dont they design a 4wd system that actually works?! Why would you make something that destroys itself with its intended use?

I'll sing the dodge song just as much as the next guy, but these two items really irritate me. Anybody?
You can add me to the 'I assumed a 45K MSRP 4x4 truck would have LSD' club. Hard to believe that all dealers dont order 4x4s with 3.92s or you would think Dodge would make LSD standard.

But really I have never got stuck anywhere, I drive is some pretty nasty stuff in the mountains and I have no problem pulling my 8000lb boat up a slippery boat ramp. If you dont have the '4wd auto' on the switch then you really shouldnt leave it 4wd on dry roads. Thats how part time 4wd works on most trucks. I have the '4WD auto' but its still part time, it will just automatically engage the 4wd when it detects enough wheelspin. Now my Jeep commander has full time 4wd, full time 4wd requires a differential between the front and rear driveshafts since turning the front wheels when moving binds everything up without it.

edit: Actually I guess if you have the 4WD Auto on the switch it is a full time transfer case, doesnt use a diff but uses clutch plates (like an LSD) to allow different front and rear driveshaft speeds. I honestly never knew, I always leave it in 2hi unless I'm in loose stuff then I use 4wd lock.

Last edited by kpevin; 12-02-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Not Having LSD on 3.55 is that poor choice?