4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing Door Lock "Post"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Medic1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Door Lock "Post"

Is swapping out the door lock post (the manual post/pin that you can pull up/push down to lock/unlock the doors) really not a simple task anymore? I wanted to change the dark grey plastic pin to the chrome pin, and my dealer says they come attached to the rod now, and the door panels need to be removed to change them to the chrome ones. That its not simple like the old days where it just unscrews and you screw a new pin down onto the rod. Parts dept at my dealer says if I try to unscrew the post it will break it off from the rod.

Thought I would seek some advice first, before actually testing it out and snapping the pin off.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes 5 minutes to remove a door panel, take one off and look at it from the inside.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Medic1
Professional

I was going to do that, but the last couple days have been below zero, snowing and windy. Thought maybe I would take the lazy way out and see if anyone else has replaced or had to repair theirs to see what it involves....

Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
rrdstarr
Rookie

I was quite shocked to see a feature like that still on vehicles! I thought door lock "pulls" went out in the 80's? If I had my way I would make them flush and no head to grip on when ib the locked position!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
72combo
Champion

Hardly worth the effort it takes, now if it was like you thought just a quick unscrew and screw on but now you are taking screws out and clips and creating possible future rattles in the door just for chrome *****. JMHO not a big fan of added chrome.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rrdstarr
If I had my way I would make them flush and no head to grip on when ib the locked position!
Me too, then I would stop getting pinched when they autolock with my arm against it

As for rattles in the door, theres not really anything in the disassembly/reassembly to cause that. They come apart easily and are pretty solidly attached.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Dawizman
Rookie

Originally Posted by rrdstarr
I was quite shocked to see a feature like that still on vehicles! I thought door lock "pulls" went out in the 80's? If I had my way I would make them flush and no head to grip on when ib the locked position!
Yeah, they are useless now-a-days even to thieves. All you have to do now is use a coat hanger and hit the power door lock button. I locked my FOB in the truck the other day and was in in about thirty seconds. I cant imagine how easily a pro could do it.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 AM
koolram
Professional

I did this swap and yes, its true it is all 1 assembly. I wanted to add some sparkle to my ST interior so I added the chrome inside door levers, and the chrome lock rods. They had to remove the door panel to swap the inside door release levers anyway so no biggie, but sure makes a difference visually and dresses up the interior.

Quick Reply: Changing Door Lock "Post"