4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Scissor Lift that comes with truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 PM
dubfunkstar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scissor Lift that comes with truck

Okay so I am trying to find the correct jack for my truck! I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Big Horn Package. It came from Dodge with the 20" wheels. I went to use my jack ..the other day and put it where the owners manual said to put it...guess what happened....anyone??? Well the jack fully extended would not even lift the truck. Fully extended it doesn't go up high enough!

It took some arguing with the Dealership I got the truck from and talking with Chrysler to get a new jack..but the problem now is that we cant figure out what the right jack is...Dave Smith has a jack for my Vin. but we cant tell if it is the right one or not. No Dealers around my area have any Jacks in Stock....So it makes going into the dealership and checking it out impossible. I could not find a part number for the Jack. On the Jack there are about 6 numbers on them..but apparently they numbered every part on the jack..I am guessing for manufacturing purposes.

If anyone knows a way to get the correct jack that would be great!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't worry about getting the right jack from Chrysler. We throw the little factory jack AWAY when we buy a new or used vehicle. Everyone in my family follows this policy. Of course, we don't leave the vehicle without a jack, but rather, we go and pick up a nice AC Delco or like priced/rated jack to store. Yea, you can't use the factory location, but you can probably get close to it. Heard and seen way too many horror stories about those factory jacks to make me convinced that I don't want to be anywhere NEAR a vehicle that is using one let alone underneath it.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:42 AM
tombogue09
Captain

That sucks, you def got the worng one. I use mine along with the factory jack from another dodge ram to rotate my tires all the time. I use the specified locations from the manual and it lifts the tire off the ground with plenty of room to spare on the jack.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 AM
rrdstarr
Rookie

I always carried a 2" x 4" long enough to sit the jack on. actually you can nail it to the 2" x 4" and it is alot easier to get under the truck in crappy conditions. Especially if you are on a dirt road or road that has a soft shoulder! A piece of 3/4" plywood makes a nice base too.

I used the factory jack they day I got the truck to put the mud flaps on. Not a problem.

Last edited by rrdstarr; 12-09-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM
09 Ram TRX 4 Lover
Professional

had to change a flat on my 06 with the 20" tires that is some scary stuff the metal they use for these jacks are very thin and poorly made.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I rotated my tires (because stupid shops scratch rims...another story) I used the factory scissor jack on my truck. It did lift it just high enough to free my 20" wheels off the ground. If you like I can look for a part # on it?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM
RAMULAK
Captain

Seriously? No one should even think about using the OEM jack for anything except an emergency situation like a flat on the side of the road. Get yourself a shop jack, and make sure is rated for a truck. You should never use one of the OEM pieces of crap in your driveway for any regular maintenance. Plus you should ALWAYS use jack stands when lifting, and working on your vehicle.
OK safety police rant over.....

Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Havn't had to use mine on the truck yet, but it worked well for changing flats on the boat trailer.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:24 AM
tombogue09
Captain

I use mine for all kinds of applications on the farm as well as regular truck maintainence. You would be surprised at what those cheap things can lift lol. I would never get under anything it was lifting but its only job is to lift something and wood blocks do the rest.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM
hardcharger77

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Personally, I wouldn't worry about getting the right jack from Chrysler. We throw the little factory jack AWAY when we buy a new or used vehicle. Everyone in my family follows this policy. Of course, we don't leave the vehicle without a jack, but rather, we go and pick up a nice AC Delco or like priced/rated jack to store. Yea, you can't use the factory location, but you can probably get close to it. Heard and seen way too many horror stories about those factory jacks to make me convinced that I don't want to be anywhere NEAR a vehicle that is using one let alone underneath it.
Do you have a link or a pic of the jack type you use? The factory jack points on the front end are so close to the tire the scissor jack is the only thing I have that will clear. If there is something easier to use with that jack point, I'm definitely interested!

Quick Reply: Scissor Lift that comes with truck