4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Damn I'm torn! Tires!!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:40 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn I'm torn! Tires!!?

Mickey A/T
Dick Cepek A/T
The Nitto Terra Grappler
The Nitto DURA Grappler

Last edited by JoesBrotherRamMan; 12-14-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy one of each and leave the factory tire on the 4th rim. Or start one more thread about the same thing.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Just buy one of each and leave the factory tire on the 4th rim. Or start one more thread about the same thing.
Go back to bed OLD MAN

Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 PM
volunteer
Amateur

Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
D-man
Rookie

I have 285/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs which thus far seem really good & they have an aggressive off road look to them as well. They have a excellent winter rating & review, might be worth checking into.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:05 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional

Originally Posted by D-man
I have 285/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs which thus far seem really good & they have an aggressive off road look to them as well. They have a excellent winter rating & review, might be worth checking into.
Thank you D-man for demonstrating some maturity unlike the two infantile boys above, they probably haven't received their 2 o'clock baby bottle and bibs yet (poor guys, hang in there!). Anyway, I have looked into the DuraTrac, but I was little worried about the road noise:/ How would you rate the road noise? Thank you again.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feeling the love - point is that you started the same thread a few days ago. Add to it rather than starting yet another thread about the same thing.

Love the PM

Dear oldjeep,

You have received a new private message at DodgeForum.com from JoesBrotherRamMan, entitled "Loser".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
I don't appreciate the sarcasm, it's people like you who destroy forum camaraderie.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Let's play nice, eh?

Yeah, probably should have just been a post in the other thread, but it's not a big deal.

Problem is - You can't go wrong with ANY ONE of those tires you have up there!

Oh and I'm not a big fan of the Goodyear Duratracs on a full size truck. Nice tire for a Wrangler or a mid-size SUV, but IMO the sidewall strength is not there for a heavy truck. They routinely get bashed by the diesel crowd. Riding around on soft/weak sidewalls can also kill fuel economy, it's almost like driving around on aired down tires. Sorry D-man, but that's just my opinion.

IMO the ATZ would be about equal to the Terra Grappler in what it can do. The Nitto might be a shade quieter and have a slight advantage on wet pavement (where it is about the best tire out there), the ATZ would get it big time on longevity and probably be a little better in mud due to the larger shoulder lugs. I personally know someone with 80k+ miles on a set of ATZs on his work truck for his Heat & A/C business.

The FCII (which like the Terra Grappler) I own. It's a fantastic tire that bridges the gap between an A/T & an M/T tire. A bit more aggressive and better suited off-road than the others, but a bit noisier than any of the others on pavement. Life is up there, probably not ATZ up there, but much better than average. A great choice if you live on pavement Monday - Friday and play/hunt/fish/camp hard on Saturday & Sunday...

The Dura Grapp is an awesome tire, but it likes life on the pavement. It is an ultra-popular tire with diesel guys who haul HEAVY WEIGHT regularly. You'll about break a frame before you'll over-load this tire. Just like the Terra Grappler, it's also a very good wet pavement/snow/ice performer. BUT the weight handling has it's drawbacks. If it's on a relatively light truck, it can be a bit harsh. I'd leave this tire for the 4x2 CTD guys who pull goosenecks cross country myself...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM
volunteer
Amateur

Originally Posted by JoesBrotherRamMan
Thank you D-man for demonstrating some maturity unlike the two infantile boys above, they probably haven't received their 2 o'clock baby bottle and bibs yet (poor guys, hang in there!). Anyway, I have looked into the DuraTrac, but I was little worried about the road noise:/ How would you rate the road noise? Thank you again.

You mad, bro?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Better still: Fill up the factory tires with Amsoil tranny fluid for better traction and super quiet.

Quick Reply: Damn I'm torn! Tires!!?