4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 AM
blakeroberts88
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDS Question

Hey guys,

I am just wondering how I can tell if my MDS is working on my truck. I have a flowmaster exhaust with tips out the back but I can't hear or tell if my MDS is kicking in or not. My last truck (2006 Ram) had a magnaflow exhaust and it was VERY noticeable when MDS would kick in but for this new one it's incredibly hard to tell. I doublechecked on my DSP to make sure it was set to on. Anybody have any input on this?
I am running 5w-30 oil down here in South Florida. Could that be it?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Medic1
Professional

You should be able to feel the change. Even before I had an aftermarket exhaust I could feel the switch from 8 to 4 in the pedal, and especially when I was accelerating and it was switching back up to 8. Maybe I just have an incredibly sensitive foot! lol. Does your ram not have the "fuel saver" light? I find the light to be accurate most of the time when the MDS kicks in and out.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

30 weight oil may prevent it from kicking in. My truck came with an mds manual that warns on not running the correct oil.
Some guys have posted not being able to tell when in mds mode. Mine is obvious when it does. So obvious that I hate it and have it disabled.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Gary C.
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Medic1
You should be able to feel the change. Even before I had an aftermarket exhaust I could feel the switch from 8 to 4 in the pedal, and especially when I was accelerating and it was switching back up to 8. Maybe I just have an incredibly sensitive foot! lol. Does your ram not have the "fuel saver" light? I find the light to be accurate most of the time when the MDS kicks in and out.
I had MDS on my '07 and now on my '10, and in my opinion you can't feel a thing - and I'm pretty sure that's what Dodge engineers intended. I installed an Edge programmer in my '07 and set the display to show when MDS was active, and unless I had a tuning package installed that display was the only way to know. With the truck tuned you could feel a slight bump (like a shift point) when it kicked in, and it was annoying as hell... thank God you can't feel it or it would drive you crazy!

As far as the "ECO" light on the EVIC, I think a lot of people are mistaken if they believe this is in any way related to MDS operation. MDS doesn't kick in and out nearly so often as that light comes on and off (remember, I could watch the MDS on my '07). MDS will occasionally kick in at lower speeds like 35-40 MPH, but only after a brief period of steady driving... MDS won't kick in during stop-and-go city driving.

I suspect the "ECO" sensor is tied in with the vacuum system somehow (remember the old fuel economy gauges you could buy back in the '70's that tied into a vacuum line?) The "ECO" light tells you one pretty basic thing - with your foot in the pedal you're not getting as good a MPG rate as you would when you back off.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gary C.
I had MDS on my '07 and now on my '10, and in my opinion you can't feel a thing - and I'm pretty sure that's what Dodge engineers intended. I installed an Edge programmer in my '07 and set the display to show when MDS was active, and unless I had a tuning package installed that display was the only way to know. With the truck tuned you could feel a slight bump (like a shift point) when it kicked in, and it was annoying as hell... thank God you can't feel it or it would drive you crazy!

As far as the "ECO" light on the EVIC, I think a lot of people are mistaken if they believe this is in any way related to MDS operation. MDS doesn't kick in and out nearly so often as that light comes on and off (remember, I could watch the MDS on my '07). MDS will occasionally kick in at lower speeds like 35-40 MPH, but only after a brief period of steady driving... MDS won't kick in during stop-and-go city driving.

I suspect the "ECO" sensor is tied in with the vacuum system somehow (remember the old fuel economy gauges you could buy back in the '70's that tied into a vacuum line?) The "ECO" light tells you one pretty basic thing - with your foot in the pedal you're not getting as good a MPG rate as you would when you back off.
GARYC....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG,THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU...!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what i`ve been trying to get across to some people in here, about how the ECO light in the evic works. You are the only one to have described exactly how it works. You hit the nail right on the head bro...!!!!!!!! The MDS has NOTHING to do with the ECO light circut, they are NOT wired together within the circut. They BOTH live on the same street, but they live in seperate house`s so to speak. (housing & street is the only anology i could think of) The ECO light only comes on when you are driving in a "fuel saveing manor". When the truck is very close to going 4cyl, OR, very light gas pedal pressure, the ECO circut monitor`s and see`s this, and then activates the ECO light accordingly. When you decel, the fuel injectors are shut down also, and the ECO circut ALSO see`s this, and can also turn on the ECO light in the dash.

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-19-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get that oil out of your truck....

Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Gary C.
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HEMI5150
GARYC....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG,THANK YOUUUUUUUUUU...!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what i`ve been trying to get across to some people in here, about how the ECO light in the evic works. You are the only one to have described exactly how it works. You hit the nail right on the head bro...!!!!!!!!
LOL! Now if I could only stop worrying about my office moving to downtown Schenectady...

Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran
Default Upstate NY...???

Gary,
what part of "Upstate NY" do you live...???
I`m in the WatkinsGlen - Fingerlakes area

Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by CarGuyOhio
Get that oil out of your truck....
Will do... 5W-20 it is.

And as far as the ECO light goes, my truck doesn't have it because I haven't brought it by a Dodge Dealer yet to have them flash it, and quite frankly I could care less about a little light on the EVIC saying I'm "saving fuel."

Old 12-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Medic1
Professional

My driving style must correlate closely with the eco light, because (especially with the magnaflow now) when my ECO light is on, you can definetly tell its in 4cyl. I always assumed it indicated when the MDS kicked in, just because of this fact. Good to know it doesn't....but I guess I just never really put much thought into it because it doesn't affect the way I drive at all.

Last edited by Medic1; 12-19-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: MDS Question