4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift Kit Soon.... I hope...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit Soon.... I hope...

Gents,

I've decided I don't like how low to the ground my 4x4 Ram sits. I want to get at most a 3 inch lift on it. If I was going higher than that I'd already be looking at suspension lifts but since I'm only doing 2-3 inches higher I'm torn between the two lifts in the links below.

Body Lift:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...body-lift.html

Coil Spring Spacers:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...ml?id=nFxGxvTm

I'm not too sure about the spacers. Has anyone had any good experiences with the above? Whether it be the body lift or the spacers.

I know most of you are going to tell me to go ahead and get a suspension lift, and if I planned on going higher than 3 inches (which I don't) then I would have gone with that.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Attono
Veteran

Trust me when I tell you that if you go with a small lift on your 4x4, you'l wind up wanting it higher sooner rather than later anyway. May as well just do it right the first time and get all the right pieces/parts to reset the factory geometry. If you go with the body lift, think about how the tow hitch is going to look, assuming you have one. That kit will raise your bumper, but the tow hitch is going to be hanging out in it's current position.

Last edited by Attono; 12-19-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 PM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by Attono
If you go with the body lift, think about how the tow hitch is going to look, assuming you have one. That kit will raise your bumper, but the tow hitch is going to be hanging out in it's current position.
Never thought of that....

What about the spacers? Anyone have any feedback on those?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Gary C.
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me when I tell you that if you go with a small lift on your 4x4, you'l wind up wanting it higher sooner rather than later anyway. May as well just do it right the first time and get all the right pieces/parts to reset the factory geometry. If you go with the body lift, think about how the tow hitch is going to look, assuming you have one. That kit will raise your bumper, but the tow hitch is going to be hanging out in it's current position.
If I'm not mistaken a body lift will NOT raise your bumpers... they're attached to the frame and stay put.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional

Regaurding the bumpers, either way it would look stupid whether it stayed where it was and the body rose above it, or if it moved upward and the hitch below.

In terms of the spacers, I will be able to tell you tomorrow. I decide to do the 2.5" inch Mopar leveling kit with 1.5" rear spacers. Sure, in reality I would love to get a 4 inch lift and 35's, but in MY REALITY, that's just silly.

I'd also like to mention that your kit will be giving you back considerable rake, I just hope your aware of that and are okay with that. Some guys prefer the leveled out look, while others enjoy retaining their factory geometry in order to tow. If thats the case, your like me, and I decide that with a 2.5" leveling kit, the truck needed at least an inch to get it level, so I went a .5" extra (total of 1.5" in the rear) and then will be adding air bags just because I think our trucks; lift or no lift, couldn't hurt to have the extra capacity. Good luck,

Last edited by JoesBrotherRamMan; 12-19-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Attono
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gary C.
If I'm not mistaken a body lift will NOT raise your bumpers... they're attached to the frame and stay put.
This kit has brackets to raise the bumper. From the link:

Tech Notes
1. Front and Rear bumper brackets included
2. Will not fit with Diesel engines
3. Steering extension included
4. Rear bumper brackets are to enhance appearance only, bumper cannot be used for towing
5. Some cutting / trimming required

Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 PM
JoesBrotherRamMan
Professional

that may solve a body imaging issue, but doesn't take care of the oddity of the hitch exposed by itself. I wouldn't suppose they'd make brackets for the hitch either without compromising its towing capacities.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 PM
ridem high
Veteran

The body lift also requires trimming/notching out the rear bumper for the hitch.I had to trim mine!The steering shaft extension is not hard to install,you just have to brace the steering wheel in its normal position while installing it,or it wheel not be centered.I purchased the 3" performance accessories body lift.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Gary C.
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each his own, but I don't know that I'd be too keen on brackets that raised the bumpers out of line with their impact points on the frame. Bumpers are attached to the frame for a reason - protection, not aesthetics. Also, many states have restrictions on maximum bumper heights, so if anything I'd think with a serious suspension lift you may need to lower the bumpers to maintain DOH compliance - and with a body lift you'd leave them right where they are.

As far as looks, that's a matter of opinion. I have a Jeep with a 3-1/2" suspension lift and a 1" body lift, and I think the body lift looks good. Again, to each his own.

Last edited by Gary C.; 01-01-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:34 PM
RCSBHEMI4X4

i have the 3'' front level and a 3'' body llift. it great and easy to do!! im about to put 37'' KL71's on it too

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Soon.... I hope...