4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Owner, but not new truck!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Minarets
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner, but not new truck!

well, i am now a RAM owner. bought a used 2010 black 4x2 Sport.
love it so far.

question: when the truck downshifts, does it feel somewhat rougher through the gears...than when cruising?

the truck feels so smooth while wide open, but when slowing down (not even braking) it feels like the gears get a little rough. is it just me? is that the way the truck is supposed to feel?

i am a first time truck owner so i feel i am doing something wrong here...

Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 AM
jram99
Veteran

If you have the tow/haul turned on, the truck will downshift hard as if you were doing it manually. If it's doing it while you still have the OD on, then you should have it checked out. You may have an overdrive problem. I had this samething on my 90 dakota and it turned out my OD unit had failed and I didn't know it until it messed up the transmission too. Was replaced under warranty but still a pain in the rear as it took them 3 weeks to get it done. Jeff.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Minarets

Thanks, i will check that out...

Old 12-25-2010, 11:25 PM
War Horse
All Star

Tow/haul should turn off every time you turn the truck off, at least that's what it does in mine. Any chance the previous owner messed with the shift settings with a aftermarket tuner?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 AM
jram99
Veteran

War Horse is correct, it should turn off everytime the truck is turned off, but it is messed up either by tuner or by defect, that could be your problem. Make sure to let us know the outcome so that if someone else has this problem in the future, they will have a better starting point to correct it. Thanks, Jeff.

Quick Reply: New Owner, but not new truck!