4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem with 09 dodge ram 1500 in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles did you have on the leveling kit? I have about 13 k on my leveling kit and I just drove about 300 miles in 4wd and had absolutely no wobble. I do have the Mopar kit and it was installed by the dealer but so far so good. I am just wondering if it will be something that I will have to worry about at 30k or something.

I looked at that Kore kit a lot before I bought my Mopar leveling kit. For the price you get a lot. Bullet proof parts and a good company. I chose the Mopar kit for the Warranty piece. If mine break"s the dealer is going to have to fix it. Good luck with the new kit.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:07 AM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the troubles with lift kits why do so many people do it? Is it really worth it? I know it looks cool but it just wears on your trucks components faster than they normally would so you can expect problems. I have a chevy I lifted, was great at first then everything started breaking down in the front end, on month ball joints, next week tierods, go 6 months nothing then idler arms and bearings and here I don't even have 50000kms yet. Put er all back to normal and was a good truck then dependable and the front end passed allignment without parts for 2 years

Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 AM
denis1227
Rookie

I wanted a factory ride, with a little lift. This is why I opted for a body lift and a leveling kit. The leveling kit is just what it says, I wanted the truck to set level, no slope on the front end. I did not want a lift kit for the reason you stated, wear and tear on the parts. I did not know by going with a leveling kit I would get this bad of a wobble.

And Pdavis, I just had it put on this summer, so I would say 10,000 miles. Mine is a 2.5" kit. What did the dealer put on yours? I may have to drop down to a 1.5" dont know what im going to do yet.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 AM
sking
Veteran

I was one of the first with a leveling kit on a 2009 and I no longer own the truck do to suspension damage do to the leveling kit. You can search and read allot of the problems I had and make your mind up about when you will remove it. Leveling kits are bad news on 4th gen half tons and Dodge knows this. Last I was told is that Dodge removed the leveling kits from there catalog do to the problem and no longer sell them. Some people have problems with the kits right away and others not until 10,20,30k or more miles down the road. No answer as to why some have it right away and others take time, but there are people who posted about not having any problems with theirs a year ago now having problems after putting more miles on their trucks. As far as a lift it seems to be the best way to go but there were 2 people who posted about getting the wobble after the lift so who knows.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:48 AM
denis1227
Rookie

My question is, If I take the kit off, will I still have the trouble once I put it in four wheel drive? Do I have damage that will need attending to. Or do I torch it? LOL, Kidding

Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 AM
sking
Veteran

After removing mine the wobble was still there just not as bad. I was lucky to be very good friends with my dealer and had the front end replaced. I still had other problems in the steering and ball joints down the road so I sold the truck and bought a 2500. Get this, if you level a 2500 the chances are great that the tie rod will break off. Can you believe that, drive down the road at 70 and have that happen. Only good thing is dodge is recalling the the trucks but started with the 4500 and 5500 trucks first. So the way I see it, dodge built a great body for the crappy suspension LOL.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Gary C.
Veteran

Originally Posted by denis1227
My question is, If I take the kit off, will I still have the trouble once I put it in four wheel drive? Do I have damage that will need attending to. Or do I torch it? LOL, Kidding
There is nothing wrong with your axles, but you will need to have the damaged CV joints replaced.

Last edited by Gary C.; 01-01-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM
denis1227
Rookie

so could I get the good cushioned cv joimts and problem fixed? Or just take the Damn thing off.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 AM
pdavis53
All Star

Originally Posted by denis1227
Pdavis, I just had it put on this summer, so I would say 10,000 miles. Mine is a 2.5" kit. What did the dealer put on yours? I may have to drop down to a 1.5" dont know what im going to do yet.
I have the Mopar kit that was available last year. I haven't heard of any problems with the Mopar kit that was installed by the Dealer. As far as I am concerned my leveling kit will only come out if I find a new job far away from the house and need better mpg's again, (even then I will probably just find a car for work) otherwise it is in there for good.

I think most of the issues come from the suspension being new and companies trying to throw stuff from older trucks at our new trucks. It is always a good idea to wait a few years after a new model comes out to get all the bugs worked out. By the sounds of it most of the kits are strating to get dwindled down to the ones that work and the ones that do not.

I personally think in your case the Kore kit is the way to go. However I have heard where you can get a 4 inch BDS kit for about 1800 for everything.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM
renos09
Veteran

Just spend the 750.00 for the Kore cv axles and your problem is solved for the wobble. Yesterday I removed my 2'' lift spacer and the truck rides much better, in 4x4 mode the truck still has a slight wobble but not as bad as with the spacer. I think the damage to the cv joints is irreversible and now need to be replaced.

Last edited by renos09; 01-01-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Problem with 09 dodge ram 1500 in 4x4