4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Tow Hook Removal To Install Bull Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispatch
Another question I have is, what exactly is the purpose of a Bull bar? Is it just for looks or other than the two fog lights you can get for it, does it serve a real purpose for your truck?
Aye. Yee'l be smockin' a turd in purgatory fer that one boyo.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 PM
merv
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It turns out, jayman84 is correct. I called Westin, they said the bar comes with brackets that let you retain the tow hooks. I told them though that it states in bold on there web site that the tow hooks must be removed. The rep said it was not correct. Another question I have is, what exactly is the purpose of a Bull bar? Is it just for looks or other than the two fog lights you can get for it, does it serve a real purpose for your truck?
One off the top of my head:

Some A**hole parked right up against my license plate when the truck was brand new. With a bull bar it wouldn't have scratched the front of my truck up; it would've just **cked up the the trunk and/or bumper of thier car.

A bull bar can be a problem if someone hits you hard enough; it will bend back into your bumper.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merv
One off the top of my head:

Some A**hole parked right up against my license plate when the truck was brand new. With a bull bar it wouldn't have scratched the front of my truck up; it would've just **cked up the the trunk and/or bumper of thier car.

A bull bar can be a problem if someone hits you hard enough; it will bend back into your bumper.
More likely when someone backed into it they would have crushed the bullbar and messed up the bumper and grill. Most of those things are made of tin and wouldn't stand up to a good kick.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Dispatch
Rookie
Question Requires trimming of air dam???

Another disturbing discovery is that I read is it requires trimming of air dam to be made for it to fit! Is this true? This whole job sounds a lot more entailed than I first thought. These are the things I must know before I go through the trouble of buying one online and finding out something else when I actually get it upon delivery.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes you have to remove and trim the air dam but it is extremely easy to do, just a few simple screws and its off. And as far as durability goes, this thing will not stop a deer at 60 mph but I have jumped on mine pretty hard and it didn't move and I weigh north of 230 pounds

Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Dispatch
Rookie
Default I See.

So then the entire plastic plug that fills the gap between the tow hooks has to be removed, permanently? I'm also assuming this is atleast a 2 man job?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM
oldjeep
Champion

So then the entire plastic plug that fills the gap between the tow hooks has to be removed, permanently? I'm also assuming this is atleast a 2 man job?
One person should be able to do it easily, although I'm wondering why you are thinking of doing this in the first place.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just the air dam has to be removed and trimmed. I did it by myself with no problems and it gets put back on. It is not removed permanently.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Dispatch
Rookie
Default Protection.

Originally Posted by oldjeep
One person should be able to do it easily, although I'm wondering why you are thinking of doing this in the first place.
As many here have stated, its to protect the front bumper from damage. Its tough to determine the space between the bumper and any poles when your parking, I don't want to mark the chrome or painted surface of the front bumper. That, and its a deer chucker!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM
oldjeep
Champion

As many here have stated, its to protect the front bumper from damage. Its tough to determine the space between the bumper and any poles when your parking, I don't want to mark the chrome or painted surface of the front bumper. That, and its a deer chucker!
As I stated, you hit a pole or a deer with that thing and all its going to do is bend and hit your bumper. The ones you are looking at are decorative at best.

Quick Reply: Tow Hook Removal To Install Bull Bar?