4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:41 PM
Revo
|
Professional
Default HID Recommendations

We have the dual headlamps on our truck, and as you know they put out as much light as a candle...

I take the truck out of the city a lot (whether it's driving on the open highway to our condo or being out in death valley), so we are frequently driving in conditions where the truck is the only source of light.

I'm looking to put 55watt HID's in so we can have some serious light output, and probably would have done so by now if it weren't for issues that seem specific to our trucks (the HID's actually working, not throwing a "bulb out" code/warning, or causing interference with the radio and TPMS).

I just had to buy about $50 in bulbs to replace the $100 in LED bulbs in my G35 after I found out that the LED bulbs were interfering with my radio when my lights were on, and I would like to avoid throwing money down the toilet here as well...

So if anyone has put in HID's successfully with no abnormalities (those that get the little "flash" of a TPMS notice, please mention that - it's an abnormality), please mention what brand your HID's are and the details (35w or 55w ballast), and what kind of headlights you have (duals or quads).

Thanks

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:45 PM
Gary C.
Veteran

Steer clear of HID Extra, just look for my 2 recent threads on here about my problems with them. For what it's worth, I bought my 6000k HID headlights from Pro Tuning Lab on E-Bay and they work great, and installed very easily.

Old 02-14-2011 | 11:17 PM
Talon_66
Professional

Originally Posted by Gary C.
Steer clear of HID Extra, just look for my 2 recent threads on here about my problems with them. For what it's worth, I bought my 6000k HID headlights from Pro Tuning Lab on E-Bay and they work great, and installed very easily.
pm me their ebay store?

Old 02-15-2011 | 02:35 AM
jmeng

try ddmtuning.com ive gotten about 4-5 sets for different cars and only had a problem with 1 ballast. they sent one the next day. great customer service!

Old 02-15-2011 | 03:17 AM
Revo
|
Professional

I have HID's from ddmtuning for my G35's Fogs/Highs, and they are good.

Anyone have ddmtuning HID's on their Rams? Any issues with flickering or "bulb out" warnings?

Old 02-15-2011 | 06:18 PM
Gary C.
Veteran

Originally Posted by Talon_66
pm me their ebay store?
http://stores.ebay.com/Protuninglab Lots of HID products, and like I said the headlights work great!

Old 02-15-2011 | 06:26 PM
Widespread

A lot of people on the forum have said they put in new HID bulbs but their is no more light than the stock setup. Any of you guys agree or disagree with this?

Old 02-15-2011 | 06:32 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gary C.
http://stores.ebay.com/Protuninglab Lots of HID products, and like I said the headlights work great!
How tough are they to install? I like the tinted ones!

Old 02-15-2011 | 08:23 PM
SmittySLT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Widespread
A lot of people on the forum have said they put in new HID bulbs but their is no more light than the stock setup. Any of you guys agree or disagree with this?
Thats a new one on me. Never heard anyone complain about the lack of output from a P-n-P HID kit. Glare yes. Output no. There is no comparing the stock halogen to an HID bulb. Its like driving with your own personal sun beam.
But like a sun beam, it shines everywhere. Hence the glare some complain about. Its due to the stock reflector wasn't made for the output of the HID bulb. You wont mind too much but anyone driving towards you will. The proper way to go is with a retro'd projector. Its like the difference between a flood light and a spot light. The difference is truly amazing. And you get a real high beam!

Old 02-15-2011 | 08:28 PM
Gary C.
Veteran

Originally Posted by Widespread
My fogs throw a ton more light than the stock bulbs. At first I didn't think the projector low beams were very bright until someone here pointed out they probably aren't aimed properly, and that was the case!

How tough are they to install? I like the tinted ones!
On a scale of 1-10 (1 being easiest) I think that unless you have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever its about a 3... pretty simple. The only thing you need to actually wire are the halo's and LED's, which is super-easy... I soldered the positives and negatives all together to a single lead, then soldered that to the parking light wires so they come on when the parking lights do. Honestly, the hardest part was taking the grill out the first time, I was super freaked out about breaking a tab off the bottom, but even that's easy. All told, it probably took me less than 2 hours start to finish.

Quick Reply: HID Recommendations