4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Adding a 90mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 PM
RTCarlin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
In defence of RTCarlin... I believe he was comparing a stock engine with a throttle body spacer. A CAI "helps" with increase forced air, a true dual "helps" with less back pressure, a throttle body spacer (by itself) is really no more then an extra extension on your stock intake, with the same ID/OD bolted to you intake manifold.
Thanks.. That's what I was getting at.

Originally Posted by roberttheall
I don't agree, Every little bit is helps, If bottle necking is really an issue than everyone who installs a CAI, is wasteing there time, and the same to those who install freeflow exhaust systems, being the exhaust alone is not alowing for more air into the engine. Sure it would be nice to go with CAI, larger throttle body, upgraded intake manifold, headers, true dual free flow exhaust.
I was referring to the throttle body / spacer with that comment.

"...the gains you would see with this mod on an otherwise stock motor would be negligible or non-existent. Unless you plan on upgrading everything else in the airflow department (heads, headers, exhaust, etc) the extra air is gonna be bottle-necked somewhere along the line. "

I should have quoted the post I was referring to. Although, from what I've gathered on the forums, simply adding a CAI and a Catback aren't all that cost effective when it comes down to $$$ per HP. The stock intake in our trucks is relatively efficient. A tuner seems to be the most bang for the buck initially, as it provides the programming needed to reap the benefits of all that extra air. The stock ECM just doesn't have the flexibility to take advantage of it all. Without a tune, the ECM is going to try to compensate for the added air by changing the timing, attempting to keep the motor running at stock specs.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 PM
roberttheall
Professional

I should have paid closer attention. I totally agree. In fact I think the spacers are a waste no matter what additional mods are put on a truck.

Originally Posted by RTCarlin
Thanks.. That's what I was getting at.

I was referring to the throttle body / spacer with that comment.

"...the gains you would see with this mod on an otherwise stock motor would be negligible or non-existent. Unless you plan on upgrading everything else in the airflow department (heads, headers, exhaust, etc) the extra air is gonna be bottle-necked somewhere along the line. "

I should have quoted the post I was referring to. Although, from what I've gathered on the forums, simply adding a CAI and a Catback aren't all that cost effective when it comes down to $$$ per HP. The stock intake in our trucks is relatively efficient. A tuner seems to be the most bang for the buck initially, as it provides the programming needed to reap the benefits of all that extra air. The stock ECM just doesn't have the flexibility to take advantage of it all. Without a tune, the ECM is going to try to compensate for the added air by changing the timing, attempting to keep the motor running at stock specs.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:49 PM
hemiboy345

i disagree throttle body spacer do work woke my hemi up i also have cai and 40 series flowmaster and 3 stage tuner

Quick Reply: Adding a 90mm throttle body