4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 AM
armyalphadog90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil Change

Looking too do a full synthetic oil change on my 2010 ram 1500, just want a step by step instruction and best oil and filter too use, and what I need to do this.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
rocky5
Amateur

Best advice I would give is get a fumoto oil drain..best money spent if I wanna do your own oil changes...other than that just a real simple job...takes me like 20 minutes...another tip...get a plastic grocery bag or 2 ...wrap the filter with bag wrapping it like a cup opened end up and slowly twist....excess oil will be trapped in bag and no mess....hope this helps

Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Pull Ya
Professional

If it is the first oil change I would suggest that you take it to a dealer to have it done. The guy at the factory that puts the oil filters on must be weight lifter. I have never had any luck in trying to take the filter off the first time, no matter what type filter wrench I had.
Jay

Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pull Ya
If it is the first oil change I would suggest that you take it to a dealer to have it done. The guy at the factory that puts the oil filters on must be weight lifter. I have never had any luck in trying to take the filter off the first time, no matter what type filter wrench I had.
Jay
Its because the filters get spun onto the engines dry at the factory. (they dont oil the filter gasket/seal)
I do agree, if this is your first oil change, let the dealer do it, that way if they fugg it up, they gotta fix it. (bring your own oil...!)
The last new truck i bought before this 2010 Ram, i had to bust the oilfilter case off, then air chisel the O/F base off

....Dat`s just to farrgen TIGHT if you ask me..!!!!

Here you go....
Get 7qts of 5w20 Valvoline Synthetic & Mopar Oil Fliter (register with valvoline and you get a 300,000 mile warranty coverage)
If you still insist on doing it your self, get a GOOD click type torque wrench and set it to 25ftlbs to re-tighten the drain plug...!
YES...!!!!....the plastic grocery bag method is azzwhoopin...best thing since sliced bread...!!!!!!!! (same trick i use..! AWESOME...!)
Drain plug i believe is 1/2 inch. Becareful when pulling the drain plug, that old oil screams outta there fast..!!!!
Fill the new oil filter up with oil before installing it...install the new filter only hand tight past gasket contact.
Dump remaining 7qts of oil into the engine...start the engine and check for leaks at the oil filter gasket area.
And dont forget to check the old oil filter when you remove it, sometimes the old gasket likes to stay on the engine block.

Last edited by LU229; 07-06-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first change was definitely a bitch to get the filter off. I tried a cap style wrench but it was plastic and it just slipped. Then I tried a band style and it crushed the middle of the filter. Finally got the band around the filter base and was able to pry it off. I believe I cussed slightly during that one. Otherwise it's pretty easy. Nothing is hard to get to.

Rob

Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 PM
armyalphadog90

So a 5liter jug and two smaller ones will do? Also when you've drained the oil what the hell do you do with it

Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

Walmart will take your old oil. They probably repackage it and sell it for new---(just kidding) but they will take the old oil.
Jay

Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM
The Craig Machine
Rookie

Bring the old oil back to where you bought the new oil from. You pay an enviro fee when you buy the oil, and that covers the cost of disgarding the used oil. Just like a core charge for batteries or parts. If they won't take it back, give them ****....or just leave it on their doorstep after hours. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE IT BACK, don't let them tell you any different. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but one thing I don't do is change my own oil. I buy my own oil and filter, and for $30 the dealership does it, fills out my service book, and deals with the damn mess. Plus if you bring service to your service department and keep them happy, it may make things in the future a little more plesant if you have any issues with warrenty work, especially if you have aftermarket up grades like lifts and exhausts.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
OhioChuck
Rookie

I picked up this tip over at the Challengertalk forum - go to Sears and get one of these oil filter wrenches:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

Best $12.99 you'll ever spend. The same 800 pound gorilla with a 30 inch breaker bar installs the filters on Challenger engines - it was a piece of cake getting the filter off our Challenger the first oil change using this wrench. The wrench has a cam mechanism that puts more pressure on the filter the more torque you apply; it does slightly dent the filter but doesn't crush it.

The county where we live has a recycle day once a year where you can take used oil and they will recycle it so I just save up all my used oil and take it there. They even unload your car or truck for you.

Chuck

Last edited by OhioChuck; 07-06-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Zookeeper
Amateur

Originally Posted by The Craig Machine
Bring the old oil back to where you bought the new oil from. You pay an enviro fee when you buy the oil, and that covers the cost of disgarding the used oil. Just like a core charge for batteries or parts. If they won't take it back, give them ****....or just leave it on their doorstep after hours. THEY ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE IT BACK, don't let them tell you any different. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but one thing I don't do is change my own oil. I buy my own oil and filter, and for $30 the dealership does it, fills out my service book, and deals with the damn mess. Plus if you bring service to your service department and keep them happy, it may make things in the future a little more plesant if you have any issues with warrenty work, especially if you have aftermarket up grades like lifts and exhausts.
Leaving the oil on their doorstep isn't very good advice. The EPA fine for doing so is $5,000 per container. They will split the fine with whoever turns you in if you're seen doing it. They'll do a spectroanalisis and link it back to your vehicle. But, like you said, they are required by Federal Law to take the used oil, unless their collection container is full.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change