4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WNDERR
You still need help with Physics - ---------

Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pacific nw guy
I towed this week from SOuthern WA to LEavenworth and the tranny temps no matter how I drove got to 235 and it was rather cool, 70 +/- outside.

My trailer on weighs 4800 and I have a 09 with 3.55s.

I also talked to the service mgr at my dealership and he said that there is no issue with that temp but I dont know if i agree. My point is i just dont understand how so many people quote such low temps when hauling much heavier loads.
I also have been seeing 220-230 for brief periods when climbing hills while towing. Same deal with the dealer regarding it being normal and not an issue. I was ready to have a additional in series cooler added but backed out at the last minute after the transmission shop I was going to use jerked me around. Today I called a very reputable transmission shop and the manager there also stated that what I was seeing is normal when towing. He said that as long as the temp goes down when I pulll over he would not worry about it. He suggested a finned deeper trans pan first and see what that does. He called PML Inc for a pan and was told that they have a prototype out under test as we speak and the real deal will be available in a couple of months. He also said that if I wanted, he could add the additional cooler but that we didn't want to over-cool the fluid as the computer would not like it and the transmission shifting may be affected. I was told that PML would get me the prototype if I was interested in being part of their testing. I'm mulling that over as I type. I will keep all posted as things develop. My next towing trip is not till around Aug -Sept and hope to have the pan in place. My trip is back to my favorite camping place so I'll compare the temps before and after the pan change.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I also have been seeing 220-230 for brief periods when climbing hills while towing. Same deal with the dealer regarding it being normal and not an issue. I was ready to have a additional in series cooler added but backed out at the last minute after the transmission shop I was going to use jerked me around. Today I called a very reputable transmission shop and the manager there also stated that what I was seeing is normal when towing. He said that as long as the temp goes down when I pulll over he would not worry about it. He suggested a finned deeper trans pan first and see what that does. He called PML Inc for a pan and was told that they have a prototype out under test as we speak and the real deal will be available in a couple of months. He also said that if I wanted, he could add the additional cooler but that we didn't want to over-cool the fluid as the computer would not like it and the transmission shifting may be affected. I was told that PML would get me the prototype if I was interested in being part of their testing. I'm mulling that over as I type. I will keep all posted as things develop. My next towing trip is not till around Aug -Sept and hope to have the pan in place. My trip is back to my favorite camping place so I'll compare the temps before and after the pan change.
Moes Performance, Air Ram Performance, and Mag Hytec have them in stock $235-$300. Which ever one you choose go with a deep aluminum finned EDIT: If you're going that route, you might want to try some high performance fluid as well. You can call TCI and get a second opinion, they claim to have the best and of course there are others.

Last edited by 1954Radio; 07-12-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM
pacific nw guy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

a deep finned pan. Ironically i have a relative who owns an transmission shop so I will see what I can get the part for. He told me he thought the temp was high and suggested the secondary cooler but I dont want to do anything that may void my lifetime warranty. I dont see how a pan could affect that.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 AM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by pacific nw guy
a deep finned pan. Ironically i have a relative who owns an transmission shop so I will see what I can get the part for. He told me he thought the temp was high and suggested the secondary cooler but I dont want to do anything that may void my lifetime warranty. I dont see how a pan could affect that.
Stock pans are steel and the heat dissapates slower where as aluminum will absorb the heat and dissapate faster. For that reason, I doubt you will ever see an aftermarket steel pan. Besides having a larger capacity, the fins act as a heatsink to help cool it even more and it does work. BTW...they have to prove that the mod was the cause of the damage in order to void any warranty on these trucks.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

To clarify - steel is capable of "absorbing" much more heat than aluminum. However, aluminum conducts heat from the heat source, to a cooler medium, better. With enough surface to radiate that heat, aluminum is a good material. Thus, the fins radiate more of it quicker.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by WNDERR
To clarify - steel is capable of "absorbing" much more heat than aluminum. However, aluminum conducts heat from the heat source, to a cooler medium, better. With enough surface to radiate that heat, aluminum is a good material. Thus, the fins radiate more of it quicker.
"No"...to clarify, aluminum is capable of absorbing and dissipating heat "much" faster than steel..."thats my point".That's why we use aluminum frying pans...they cook faster, distribute heat faster, and cool off faster than steel pans do. And that's why it's best to use an aluminum tranny pan, to absorb the heat get it away as fast as possible. Everyone knows that steel is capable of absorbing more heat than aluminum, but that has nothing to do with this. And the fins are there to help distribute the "ambient" (meaning controlled temperature) air across the pan cooling the fins which cool the pan which cools the fluid. Don't try and clean up your "truth be told, ambient temperature has little affect on this stuff" Everything about the temperature is ambient contolled by liquid, radiators, fins, fans and thermostats from under the hood to under the car. But you're right about one thing, and that's what I've been saying all along...aluminum (tranny housing) conducts heat from the source...the engine, lol!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

You know not of what you speak.....

Do more research, and give better information.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 PM
WNDERR
Veteran

Part of the problem is that he doesn't seem to understand "absorbing" vs. "conducting"...

Steel will absorb more because it has higher melt temps - but it's not as good a conductor.

If you can't give good basic information, don't polute the pool.. You have to understand the basics, first. Don't explain thermodynamics, unless you understand it.

Read, and research, and understand are key to good explanations.

Quick Reply: Tranny Temps