4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Is There A Cabin Air Filter or Not?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the mod awhile back, a couple months ago, thinking that I should probably check it sometime soon now.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
WNDERR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to look at --- when you look close at the proposed cut out, you can see the outline of where to cut, on the face of the plastic. It is about 1/16" - 1/8" "inside" the raised edge, not right at it.

Since I did this mod, I do notice much less "dust" on the dash - so, looks like it is doing it's job.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:31 PM
kpevin
Veteran

Thats pretty cool, I'm going to do it, keep that damn spring pollen off my dash.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
theRealKornbread

Does anyone know if this applies to 3rd Gen Rams? I drive on dirt roads a lot, I'd love to be able to do this.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Capn Preshoot
Professional
Default What about those w/Ext'd Warranty on A/C?

I was all set to order the cover and get the filter when it occurred to me that I have an ext'd warr. (Maximum Care 7/100) that covers just about everything, and specifically covers every component of the A/C system.

Would this "mod" be considered a design alteration that could void the A/C system warranty? I really don't see how adding the cabin air filter would do so, but there again is the nagging "weasel clause" to let them off the hook.

I would be very upset to have an A/C system claim denied on the basis of this relatively simple (and completely passive) mod.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 PM
kpevin
Veteran

Originally Posted by Capn Preshoot
I was all set to order the cover and get the filter when it occurred to me that I have an ext'd warr. (Maximum Care 7/100) that covers just about everything, and specifically covers every component of the A/C system.

Would this "mod" be considered a design alteration that could void the A/C system warranty? I really don't see how adding the cabin air filter would do so, but there again is the nagging "weasel clause" to let them off the hook.

I would be very upset to have an A/C system claim denied on the basis of this relatively simple (and completely passive) mod.
I thought about that myself before I cut, if worse came to worse pull the filter out before bringing it in. I'm sure they could say restricting the inlet air could cause all sorts of problems but I really doubt any techs would even notice it was there unless it was completely clogged or you did a complete hack-job cutting it. Only thing it would really hurt is available air to the blower motor and there is plenty of air leakage so I doubt it will affect anything

Not sure why Dodge just didnt go ahead and do it, obviously the provisions are there for it. Its possible the lower heater box is used on other vehicles and they didnt put it in there because it may decrease the flow a bit on high speeds, IMO the cooling on these are marginal at best on 100 degree days so that may be it. But when the A/C is on 'max' its pulling air from inside the cabin post filter so it really shouldnt matter.

It may be a simple cost cutting measure but for that extra 10.00 or so it cost them they can put the 'filtered cabin air' in the list of features.

Or its also possible they figure pickup drivers end up in dusty/dirty environments and the filter would get clogged up quickly - who knows.

Either way I did it and it works fine, we'll see in the spring when the pollen comes how effective it is I used a NAPA brand filter BTW, 5478 if I remember (wix cross reference).

Either way if it doesnt work and I see any side effects its easy enough to pull the filter out, snap the cover back on and it was the way it was before functionally.

Last edited by kpevin; 03-03-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Germantorque

My Dodge Dealership in Cold Lake, Alberta just started advertising about this "MOD" they are charging $149.99. So that good enough for ne warranty wise!

Thanks for the information saves a bundle!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM
MattsMountain
Professional

I did the mod too. The directions on how to do it were great - ordered the parts online for cheap and took only minutes to do ... and it's a nice clean finished look. Really appreciate the write-up and pics on this - nicely done!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Originally Posted by kpevin
...some snippage....

Or its also possible they figure pickup drivers end up in dusty/dirty environments and the filter would get clogged up quickly - who knows.
This would be my bet. Pickups by their very nature are more often a work vehicle than a "family car". Many exceptions duly noted, but even for personal use a lot of pickups are bought for utility purposes.

In other words, it's a truck. Who cares what the A/C draws in as long as it's cool air?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 AM
HKS
Amateur

Ripplek,

Im hope you are right. I have been looking for a way to put an aftermarket cabin air filter in my 2010 RAM Big Horn Hemi.

I will look for the fat T under the glove box and then proceed.
with parts order.
Thank you in advance.

HKS

Originally Posted by ripplek
TOOLS NEEDED:

(1) Sharp boxcutter or X-acto

PARTS NEEDED--

(1) Filter box 'lid'. Dodge part number 68052292AA (About $11)
(1) Cabin Air Filter. Dodge part number 5058693AA, OR, Purolater C25869 ($7), Hastings HAAF1328, or Wix 24578

(These parts are all "OEM" for a 2010 Dodge Avenger, Caliber, Compass, etc. They will not be found by searching in any parts book under 'Dodge Ram'!)

Step 1. Remove lower glove box by gently pulling inward on both sides where the 'ears' are.

Step 2. Locate the filter slot area, which is shaped like a short, fat "T". Using the sharp tool of your choice, cut out the area just inside of the "T". You do not need to cut out the lower 'leg' of the "T", just go straight across. (Refer to pic)

Step 3. Slide in filter with airflow arrow pointing down. The filter, when properly installed, will protrude outside of the slot some. It will not be 'flush'.

Step 4. 'Snap' on the lid. You will need to press on the little 'ears' on each end of the lid (marked with blue tape in pic) until you hear a 'click'. This 'locks' the lid into place.

Step 5. Re-install glove box, and done!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is There A Cabin Air Filter or Not?