4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012 | 12:33 AM
fasst450
|
Default Leveling Kit Question

Hey guys, I have been doing alot of research on which leveling kit to buy for my 09 Laramie CC 4x4. Im having a tough time finding any recent topics about it so I know that there are more kits out now then there was 2 years ago when everyone was talking about doing leveling kits. Anyways, I do very little off roading other than taking the quads to the trail head. Honestly Im just going for looks, Im not even looking to change out the stock size 275 tires that are still on it. I want something that will not cause a ton of drivetrain wear and something that hopefully wont cause the death wobble(I do understand that the death wobble is kind of hit and miss with these trucks and I wont know for sure until I put it on). Obviously, I also want to maintain the factory ride quality as well. I did an Ebay search and was shocked at how many different knock-off kits there are! Some were as cheap as $32! Are any of those kits decent or do they fall into the category of you get what you pay for? Thanks for reading guys, I know this subject has kinda been beaten to death already but im just not satisfied with the answers I was coming up with by doing my own research

Old 04-17-2012 | 09:06 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...pic-heavy.html

Here's my of my install of the Bilstein 5100's leveling kit. More expensive than the spacers alone but it's a MUCH better ride over stock once they break in after 100miles or so. Adjustable from four different level settings. Easy install if you have basic mechanical knowledge, a buddy and some cold brewski's. When you do this install your completely removing the original Strut and replacing it w/ the bilstein height adjustable.

Here's an article by bilstein...
http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...WebArticle.pdf

Then there website..
http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/l...djustable.html

Old 04-17-2012 | 11:13 AM
fasst450
|

I like what I see with the Bilstein kit. Thanks alot Mikeyyy nice write up on the install too! Looks like it would be worth it to see if I can rent a lift for a day and knock it out. I just have to wait for my leg to heal and ill get going on it!

Old 04-17-2012 | 03:43 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

It's a rather easy install...just have a buddy handy to help push down on the LCA when re-installing the strut/spring. Rent a lift, where can you do that publicly? I went up to Maine to visit a buddy shop and since were both in the military we used the Navy Bases Auto Hobby shop,which was a huge benefit!

But on another note, a lot of guys have done this job in there garage w/ jack stands and took the springs/struts to a shop to compress them. If you plan on going w/ the Bilstein route order them now while your waiting for your leg to heal...a lot of places have them on back order for 30(ish) days. I got mine from Tire-Rack and they were the only place not on backorder.

Old 04-18-2012 | 09:29 AM
roju6

I put in the 2.5" Hell Bent Steel levelling kit on my 2010 QC 4x4, it levelled the truck out pretty much perfectly. The nice part I found about this kit is it doesn't affect ride quality since it is a spacer that installs on the top of the shock, although it is noticeably higher in front. I bought mine off ebay and I think it was about $75 or so, but can be installed in an afternoon in your garage (depending how many beers you drink..). No wobble from it, there is a bit of vibration in four wheel drive at about 20-25 mph but faster or slower than that there's nothing.

Old 04-18-2012 | 01:43 PM
Pull Ya
Professional

I had the Hell Bend 2" kit and had no problem with it and it did a pretty good job of leveling the truck. Recently installed the Bilstein 5100 Adjustables in front and Bilsteins in the rear and I think they do a great job and I believe the truck rides a lot better than stock and it sits level. +1 for the Bilsteins--except the 2 month back order I had to wait through. Beware!!!!!! vendors will lie to you and tell you they have them in stock and then later tell you they are on back order--know who you are dealing with!!!!!!!
Jay

Old 04-19-2012 | 08:41 AM
fasst450
|

Thanks alot guys, its lookin like its really a crapshoot how bad the wobble will be so I might as well go with Bilstien which I think is the best way to level. We have a shop on Fort Hood that is like that, Hopefully my IRR ID card will get me in on an off-day or something, its usually REALLY busy!

Old 07-29-2012 | 02:18 AM
holydiver89
Amateur

The billstein is probably your best bet, but if you're trying to save some pennies, the spacers will work fine, either way you go, your ball joints and CV joints will wear a bit faster due to angle changes that can only be fixed by using taller knuckles and A-arm drop brackets, here's my spacer install vid

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit Question