4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Rust Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody ever used that Rust Bullet stuff that is advertised here? My '93 Dakota was Ziebart treated when new, and I can say that stuff works! It came for Ohio and no rust at all.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM
LU229
Banned

You guys dont want to look at my 2010 then, box rotted just ahead of the tailgate.
Has already been fixed just before winter, such a **** job, its already rotted again.
I made a mistake paying $45k+ for this truck, i`ll never buy another one again.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 PM
jordan_estrin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cali truck-cali edition

14 days after my purchase and 1 day of rain rust every where on my truck but most of all my axle was rusting from somewhere inside and coming out center of rim. The dealer would not fully explain what they did...

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

These are the days I am glad I live in Arizona. When I lived on the east coast every new car I ever owned rusted quickly -especially the toyotas. Moved to AZ and no rust at all -other than the iron parts underneath that don't need to be painted.

Hard to comment about rams, but it sounds like they all have an issue around the tailgate from what I have read. LU. Post a pic of yours so I can see. Just so I know.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Drive shafts, axel housings etc, anything metal and not aluminum will rust, surface rust on ANY vehicle, its normal. I ahve 2012 Ram, 120,000 miles, no rust whatsoever showing on any body parts. Underneath?? Who knows, nothing on body panels. Drive shaft, axelhousings ets, I would expact so and maybe in 100 yrs or so in these areas it may be a problem. You guys worrying about a little orange rust color on a driveshaft have to much spare time toworry about nothing. I live in Florida so no road salt. If I still lived in Maine where they get 6 months a yr of road salt I'd comsider myself crazy to spend $30,000+ for any vehicle without having it rustproofed. Ever hear of Z bart? Thats what they do. NO vehicle manufacturer "rust proofs" their vehicles. Oh they tell about this exotic new revolutionary rust protection ONLY this make or that make has but NONE of them "rustproof" their vehicles. ARe they better than yrs ago? Yes. When I was a kid in Maine until sat 1980 or so almost any vehicle with 70,000 miles or so were rust buckets. Go there now, you'll look long and hard for a week to find even one rust bucket unless its 20 yrs old. Can it happen? Sure. Is any part installed at 4:50 on friday? yes. If a tailgate is rusting on a 2 yr old vehicle it most likely has been scratched or whatever without properly being taken care of. I mean figure it out, I believe I see more Dodge trucks here in central florida than any other brand and I haven't seen one yet that was a rust bucket. In fact I haven't seen one yet that showed any rust at all unless the paint had been scraped off like in an accident etc. Do any have an "Orange rust color" on the drive shaft?? Yes, probably every one of them. I only own a Ram, i do not work for them or have anything invested. This is my first ram and if I ha a little rust showing on the tail gate I guarantee Dodge would fix it unless it was 4-5 yrs old and all beat up. Its like a brother in law. Has a 10 yr old DAKOTA, will never own another Dodge, Tranny went bad yrs ago, replaced by Dodge. Today they have 100,000 mile warranty, go figure.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Tunaman
Veteran
Default Correction!!

In previous post I miss stated the mileage on my 2012 Ram. I hit an extra 0!! It has 12,000 miles not 120,000, sorry.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 PM
LVRR
Veteran

Go and read all the truck forums, Ford, Chevy and you will find the same question about rust on the under body with new vehicles.

It is a universal question. Trucks in the snowbelts where salts are used tend to show more than trucks in milder climates, it is just a fact of life.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 AM
jordan_estrin
Default but thats just the begining....the rust was just a small blip

I have been and still very much am having more major issues and yes im f*cking bored,and in california. The mds system make the vehicle *******ly un driveable most of the time and getting more frequent. Had to tow the truck in, do to a valve clacking. The engine control unit was not even talking to the service comp. at all. Not to mention missed work, no car, no rental offered and the mds problem has had me not driving the vehicle for a month now...the dealer has not giving me a straight answer yet on what they can do...look up dodgeramhell.com
and get back to me...the rust was just a small blip

Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

My shaft is getting rusty too.....But that's another story.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Atomic Dog
These are the days I am glad I live in Arizona. When I lived on the east coast every new car I ever owned rusted quickly -especially the toyotas. Moved to AZ and no rust at all -other than the iron parts underneath that don't need to be painted.

Hard to comment about rams, but it sounds like they all have an issue around the tailgate from what I have read. LU. Post a pic of yours so I can see. Just so I know.
Dog, i would gladly do so, but my camera wont work with my pooter... like me, its too dam old...lol. My truck is rotting out right where the seam of the bed meets the rear edge. (just ahead of the tailgate) Its right where you see the two pieces are spot welded together in the bed... looks like a narrow channel that runs from the left side of the bed to the right... thats where its rotting. Its already been fixed once by the lame dealership body people. Lasted 6 months, rotting thru again. When i get ready to trade the truck in, i`ll have the box sprayed with bed coating to cover it up.

Quick Reply: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Rust Issues