4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Dodge Ram 1500 Rust Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 08:58 PM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2014 Ram
New to the site and have been reading posts about rust issues. I recently noticed rust bubbles on both rear upper quarter panels about the size of a dime. I'm also noticing rust on the front chrome bumpers. I'm pretty disappointed because I love this truck (5.7L Crew Big Horn). I have an appointment at the dealership next week and they will take pictures and send it to Chrysler. I'll let you know where I get, but i'm not confident i'll get anywhere. Hard to believe a truck that is 3yrs old already having these types of issues. Other than this, the truck has been rock solid all around.
I finally got the infamous rust bubbles on my '09. Traded it in got a '16, quickly traded that a year later and got a '17 Copper edition. Got under and noticed a bit of a change in how the rear liners are attached inside the well. You would think with all the comments and complaints they would address this with some type of undercoating....but no. The way the old liners were stuck on, the sand and dirt would accumulate on top of the liners. Any moisture would sit there and rust would start. Now they sort of spaced it away from the steel fender. But still no paint or undercoating. Best thing you can do is pull the liners out, Rust-Oleum the inner fenders or even LineX them. At the very least rubber coat them. May not last forever but better than the nothing Ram seems to take pride in doing with their trucks. Customers? Ram, don't give a **** or they would fix this.

Last edited by RAMULAK; 12-22-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:00 PM
2014 Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news!!! They sent the pics in an will be replacing the right panel altogether. The left is not nearly as bad, so told to monitor it and come back when it's time. I really didn't think I would get this replaced, but feel like this is a big win!!! Thanks Dodge Service!!!!

Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

depends a lot where you live too. i am 5 miles from Galveston Bay and 40 miles from the Gulf so bare metal here rusts very fast but it's not as bad as the salt used up north. now, luckily, our '01 and 2011 Rams don't have any serious rust issues aside from the surface rust, and even that is not bad at all. however, any repairs made i will go out of my way to use stainless hardware and epoxy paint any bare metal as needed.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 PM
ctJakes
Default rust isues

my 2010 2 months before paint warranty was up pass side wheel well had rust and they ended up replacing outer rear panel and the body shop told me on pass side were they put sealant from factory to seal the inner and outer panel is a wavey line so water was staying in sealant they said they never recalled it because not enough reports but it didnt cost me a dime since i made warranty,

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 Rust Issues