4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

From a 2001 to 2012, Getting Used to Hemi Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:23 AM
cdr927
|
Default From a 2001 to 2012, Getting Used to Hemi Engine

Hi everyone. I Just got a 2012 outdoorsman last month, upgrading from an old 2001 SLT. I love the truck, but this newer Hemi engine is taking a little getting used to.

Aside from the low "hemi tick" sound that I've read about, there is another small issue that is different than what I am used to. I don't think it's a problem, so I thought I would throw it out here first before getting uptight about it.

I have noticed in the last couple days (and it could have done this since day 1, maybe I just didn't notice) that when I come to a complete stop, after maybe a second or two, the truck will give an ever so slight shake, almost like something is either shutting off or turning on. The only way I can explain the shake is that split second feeling before an old car stalls. But of course, my Ram doesn't stall, it just has that ever so slight shake.

Do they all do that ? It's only when I come to a complete stop, and only after 1-2, maybe 3 seconds.

Is that, or could it be, the Hemi shifting to 4 cylinders from 8 ? Does the engine drop to 4 cylinders while idling ? Or is it something else totally?

Thanks for the input. I am not very automotive advanced, but I am a loyal Ram guy. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:48 AM
Nate769
All Star

how many kms are on it? It could be that the computer is still learning from the factory break in. I have never noticed it on my Ram, but then again I don't really pay attention to that. I will have to look for it a little more, I do know that its bloody warm here in alberta right now (yes I am complaining because im working in the sun all day. And I know you guys south have it far worse :P) When I jump in my truck to cool off and have lunch or something then every now and then there is a shake. Could be something involved in the AC compressor...

As far as I know at idle it does not run in 4 cyl. I think it would be too hard on the motor to run with half the motor at a very low RPM. I could be wrong tho. Yours is a 2012 and mine is an 11 so maybe its new technology that allows them to do that.

On the other side of things, enjoy your new hemi! These things are beasts! IMO best gas motor available today! Some claim they are a little bit of a fuel hog, but when you need that motor to work...it definitely provides all the power you need, and then some! Enjoy!

Old 07-11-2012 | 09:56 AM
cdr927
|

Originally Posted by Nate769
how many kms are on it? It could be that the computer is still learning from the factory break in. I have never noticed it on my Ram, but then again I don't really pay attention to that. I will have to look for it a little more, I do know that its bloody warm here in alberta right now (yes I am complaining because im working in the sun all day. And I know you guys south have it far worse :P) When I jump in my truck to cool off and have lunch or something then every now and then there is a shake. Could be something involved in the AC compressor...

As far as I know at idle it does not run in 4 cyl. I think it would be too hard on the motor to run with half the motor at a very low RPM. I could be wrong tho. Yours is a 2012 and mine is an 11 so maybe its new technology that allows them to do that.

On the other side of things, enjoy your new hemi! These things are beasts! IMO best gas motor available today! Some claim they are a little bit of a fuel hog, but when you need that motor to work...it definitely provides all the power you need, and then some! Enjoy!
Ive got 1000 miles on it.

I have also duplicated the results with the AC off, the fan off, etc. It doesn't happen every single time, but 75% of the time, I can feel it, enough that it seemed odd to me. What I think is weird is there is a definite gap in time from when I stop to when it slightly shakes, like 1-3 seconds or so. And its only when I come to a complete stop.

Just an ever so slight shake, like I said, it almost feels like an old car an instant before it stalls.

Old 07-11-2012 | 03:02 PM
cdr927
|

I just read the octane thread, and I just realized that the manual states it recommends 89 octane, and I have just been putting in 87. Does anyone think this could be the cause for this "stalling" feeling ?

I don't know. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time, but more times than not, and only seems when I am completely stopped for more than a second or two. Then a small quick shake, then it seems like it idles fine.

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:25 PM
hemicrzy

Possible you are feeling the stop bump that many of us have complained about in previous threads, if so it is apparantly something to do with the baffling in the fuel tank and will only happen when the fuel tank is above 1/2 or fuller, I have noticed when my tank is below 1/2 it does not do it. this is I guess normal and have 24000 on my truck with no problems, It does it after coming to a complete stop and about 1 sec later feel a quick bump.

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:48 PM
AZdave
Professional

When it feels like you're about to stall, have you paid attention to your tach or during evening time, do your lights dim? I've got an '09 and I noticed it a few days after I got it. It was a regular occurence (slowing to a light and it felt like it was going to stall) and it never stalled - might be a torque-converter issue. No dealer and none of us on the forum figured it out (a number of us had or have it at present).
It made braking at a stop a pain in the ***, cuz once the RPM's bounced back up - the truck would surge slightly.
I've got 35K on my truck now and haven't had it occur any time recently. I have an old thread on this, but it was pointless and without solution.

Old 07-11-2012 | 08:44 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by hemicrzy
Possible you are feeling the stop bump that many of us have complained about in previous threads, if so it is apparantly something to do with the baffling in the fuel tank and will only happen when the fuel tank is above 1/2 or fuller, I have noticed when my tank is below 1/2 it does not do it. this is I guess normal and have 24000 on my truck with no problems, It does it after coming to a complete stop and about 1 sec later feel a quick bump.
Mine does not do it at all. My tank is usually above half, I don't experience anything like that.

I also use 87 octane as well, I still experience no issues...

Old 07-12-2012 | 08:47 AM
cdr927
|

Originally Posted by hemicrzy
I will keep an eye on this. Right now my tank is above 1/2 full. I dont know if I would call it a "bump" per say, its an ever so slight shake or wiggle, side to side, not front to back. The only way I can accurately describe it is that stall feeling. But of course it doesn't.

Heres another thing I noticed it does. I'll recreate the feeling at a light. Then as cars creep up, I will let my foot off the break, coast for a few feet without touching the gas, then brake a little firmer, and then, 1 to 3 seconds later, same shake.

But, if I very easily, lightly, brake and come to a slow rolling stop, it doesnt do it. And again, I can duplicate it when I want to approx 75% of the time the last two days, but on occasion, even when I try to replicate it, it doesn't do it always.

It's very hard to pinpoint where it is coming from, and I didn't want to steer people wrong without some feedback first, but if I had to take a stab at it it feels like its more from the back than the front.

I dont think it has anything to do with fuel sloshing around causing the shake, it just doesn't have that "weighted shake" feeling. I am unclear how this baffling you describe of works, please explain.

Old 07-12-2012 | 09:25 PM
ramtrx4

mine does it about 75% of the time too, been doing it since day 1. 2010 TRX4 5.7L.

Old 07-13-2012 | 09:41 AM
cdr927
|

Originally Posted by ramtrx4
mine does it about 75% of the time too, been doing it since day 1. 2010 TRX4 5.7L.
Ahhh, the comfort of forums

Well, at least i know Im not the only one. I guess that makes me feel better.. ?...Funny thing is, I couldn't get it to do it yesterday. My tank is less than 1/2 full now, maybe this gastank baffle theory is it. I'll have to keep watching, feeling.

I dont know anything about this baffle though, can someone explain or maybe point me to that old thread via a link ? I quickly searched back through the older threads a bit and didn't see a title that stood out.

Quick Reply: From a 2001 to 2012, Getting Used to Hemi Engine