4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

** Uconnect problems **

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Darkside 700
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The phone is a LG cx5500
I have not tried calling numbers by name.
I haven't had a chance to pair another phone to uconnect.
I will have to get together with someone with another phone and try it out.
Thanks

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xsdbs
Is there somethingin this link to help withthis issue or was there something else that you're trying to show me? Thanks
Merely showing everyone where the other Uconnect problem threads are located.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM
RKirk
Default waiting on 3rd! uconnect

I have a 2012 Charger I bought in Jan. The car was built in Oct of 2011. The original uconnect did work OK for awhile but then it went crazzy. It would lose all my programed stations, the clock changed time at will, uit would turn on and on when it felt like it. It took 3 trips to the dealer to convince them it was the unit not my imagination. Got a 'new' unit 6 days ago. Got the phone set up, programmed the stations all seemed well till yesterday when it decided to give me a Sirrius preview and then it went on and on a streaming loop of the available sirrius stations. Couldn't even manually program in a station and all the ones I had put in were gone. Back to the dealer. They have ordered another but they did tell me that the replacements are not new units. If this next one doesn't work, I am taking it directly to Chrysler. I have a brand new car. I should not be getting replacement parts at this point. What I am trying to find out is how common this 'possession' is with these units. It sounds like you are experienceing a similar situation. Do you know when your car/truck was built. You know when there are issues with electronics somewhere out there there are hundreds of these units failing. I'd like to know more but having a hard time getting any info.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Darkside 700
Amateur

dirtydog please feel free to move this thread to that location.
I don't know how to relocate it.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, Let me try to explain something here, ok:
Does your Charger have the touch screen radio installed? If I remember correctly, the Charger didn't come with a Miitsubishi radio. Which I have more experiance with.
Unfortunately not all "Uconnect" is not Uconnect. What I mean by that is:
There are 3 different suppliers of the Uconnect system.
1) The Mitsubishi radios (RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB) all have an external Uconnect module built by a company called Peiker Acustics.
2) The Harman radios (730 & 730N) both have an internal Uconnect module built by Harman Int'l.
3 The Magneti Marelli radios (4.3 & 8.4 touch screens) are a component radio and I believe they also have an external Uconnect module.

As far as I now, the Uconnect module does not control any of the radio functions. It only takes a voice command and sends that command over the CAN BUS network to the radio and then the radio does what the voice command is. The issues that are being discussed here are with the Mitsubishi radios and can't be compared to the other radio mfg's issues.
The problem that we are discussing with the dropping of the digit "1" I believe will be found to be an issue with the phone. The reason is because he hears the Uconnect system reading back the correct digits. It is now up to the phone to place the call using the digits that were sent to it.

If you click on the blue Magneti Marrelli above, you'll get to the companies website. It might be helpful to try yanking some strings over there. They may have some knowledge that the dealer doesn't know.

Originally Posted by RKirk
I have a 2012 Charger I bought in Jan. The car was built in Oct of 2011. The original uconnect did work OK for awhile but then it went crazzy. It would lose all my programed stations, the clock changed time at will, uit would turn on and on when it felt like it. It took 3 trips to the dealer to convince them it was the unit not my imagination. Got a 'new' unit 6 days ago. Got the phone set up, programmed the stations all seemed well till yesterday when it decided to give me a Sirrius preview and then it went on and on a streaming loop of the available sirrius stations. Couldn't even manually program in a station and all the ones I had put in were gone. Back to the dealer. They have ordered another but they did tell me that the replacements are not new units. If this next one doesn't work, I am taking it directly to Chrysler. I have a brand new car. I should not be getting replacement parts at this point. What I am trying to find out is how common this 'possession' is with these units. It sounds like you are experienceing a similar situation. Do you know when your car/truck was built. You know when there are issues with electronics somewhere out there there are hundreds of these units failing. I'd like to know more but having a hard time getting any info.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:54 PM
xsdbs
Captain

Darkside,
I hope your not getting angry with my asking questions. As I'm not in the vehicle, being an electrical tech for over 20(+) years, these would be the steps that I would be going thru to diagnose the issue and they need to be performed in order o come to an accurate conclusion. Thanks

****I'll see if I can locate the same model as yours to test it ok*****

Originally Posted by Darkside 700
The phone is a LG cx5500
I have not tried calling numbers by name.
I haven't had a chance to pair another phone to uconnect.
I will have to get together with someone with another phone and try it out.
Thanks

Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Darkside 700
Amateur

Xsdbs,

I am a tech myself in a different field and I don't mind your questions.
I do understand it is necessary in order to try and figure something like this out especially when you are not with the product.
Take as much time as you need.
I do appreciate your help.
As I said I will get together with someone with a newer phone and try it out on my end to see if it might be my phone that is the problem.
Thanks once again.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
xsdbs
Captain

I looked around for a similar phone to yours but didn't find it yet. However I did go online to find the user manual. I found this information that may help. I don't think that your phone is discoverable when the system powers up and looks for the paired phone. This kind of makes since because you mentioned that if you turn BT off - on that it will connect, (correct?) Have you tried this already?

Page 62
Discovery Mode
Allows you to set whether your
device is able to be searched by
other Bluetooth devices in the area.
1. With the flip open, press
[MENU].
2. Press Settings & Tools.
3. Press Bluetooth Menu.
4. Press the Right Soft Key
[Options].
5. Press Discovery Mode.
6. Use the Directional Key to
highlight a setting, then press .
On / Off
NOTE If you choose On for Discovery Mode,
your device is able to be searched by
other in-range Bluetooth® devices

Xsdbs,

I am a tech myself in a different field and I don't mind your questions.
I do understand it is necessary in order to try and figure something like this out especially when you are not with the product.
Take as much time as you need.
I do appreciate your help.
As I said I will get together with someone with a newer phone and try it out on my end to see if it might be my phone that is the problem.
Thanks once again.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Darkside 700
Amateur

xsdbs,
Thanks for the information.
I will check that out.
I did a reset of the phone yesterday and have not tried it out yet.
I will let you know how it works.
Thanks once again.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Darkside, just checking to see if the settings info helped you at all.

xsdbs,
Thanks for the information.
I will check that out.
I did a reset of the phone yesterday and have not tried it out yet.
I will let you know how it works.
Thanks once again.

Quick Reply: ** Uconnect problems **