4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey there Dodge, you's ah lissen ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012 | 03:44 PM
Dale_K

I wish the EVIC had a page that displayed a digital speedometer readout. My GM car has a display like an EVIC, only they call it a DIC and a digital speedometer page. I run with that on all the time and it's very convenient. It would be so easy for Chrysler to add it and it wouldn't cost them anything since it would only be a software change.

Old 09-07-2012 | 11:03 AM
john x 2
|

"It is probably. What your use to ,"
felling a little guilty in making my post,

I had not realized just how poinent Capsfloyd statement was untill I went out there and sit down for a spell, picturing myself at the wheel thumbing threw those buttons pulling and carrying aload across the mountains.

I was use to, all of the years, of haveing a antilog temp. gage sitting there in the dash reading it's temp all of the time when running down that road. Plus just above it was square message center, that had a constiant reading and a pictured warning of another 14 points of consern that GM had the forsite to give me.

Being a Rv'er and a load carrier use for all of my trucks I am well aware of what a high temp. can do to a tranny, from more than a few examples of problems that they have had, that I be came aware of. So I was realy comparing what I knew, from what I had become use to. It can show up enough time later, in time. That if you were not aware of the strain on that tranny at the time it happen, it would be hard to later to make the connection. Especially the differance between a 1/2 & a 3/4 ton's tranny.

Thus I have always jumped on including a towing package. Which brings me to the next question. Does Dodge have a seperate oil cooler for there transmittion ? It states that all of their trucks tranny's have a cooler standard, but this cooling tank is also included there in the inside bottom of the radiator in all four of the top truck lines, all of the time, but included in their towing package is a seperate fined core outside.

Last edited by john x 2; 09-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2012 | 11:19 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

These trucks have no extra 'towing package' other the mirrors and such. Haven't in decades.

Old 09-07-2012 | 12:10 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

All gen4s with hemis have a finned trans fluid cooler, it's combined with the AC unit - one unit, 2 coolers. What I don't understand is why they don't provide an engine oil cooler! The oil in these hemis run super hot, that's why I use synthetic.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 09-07-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2012 | 01:15 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

The oil in my Hemi runs somewhat cooler then my 2008 Corvette. The auto trans in the hemi runs lots cooler then my vette. In fact it runs cooler towing 6000lbs then the vette does normal driving. Only thing I can compare it to.

Old 09-07-2012 | 02:29 PM
john x 2
|

Hounddogg,
Doesn't Chevrolet?GM stress because of this heat in their engines that you are to use a synthetic ? Moble ! if I remember & don't stick my foot into my mouth here again.....

Old 09-07-2012 | 04:31 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

NO. On a few high performance models. They stress you use the correct designated oil.

Old 09-07-2012 | 04:37 PM
Dale_K

My new reg. cab Express has the trans temp readout in the EVIC and my previous GMC V6 had the same thing. The GMC did not have a separate trans cooler but I can see one on the Ram. FWIW the cooler must be pretty effective. I used to see 185 degrees on the GMC driving gently while not towing at 100 deg ambient. The Ram has never been above 140 driving the same route, also while not towing.

Old 09-08-2012 | 06:16 PM
john x 2
|

Dale K,,,, at the top had something that he wished that Chrysler would include,,,,,,,

i/We own a '03 Dodge Caravan Sport mini-van since '04 . It has this storage above in the center, storeage compartment, for your sun glasses & cleaning cloth. It had the the garage door opener, compass, fuel ETA etc. there also This is something else I have gotton use to in that van, and miss. The wife when in the shot gun seat misses the compass, can not see it in the EVIC as the screen turns a pink when viewed from the side. I also wish that they would have included 2~ 12v. ports in the console instead of just one. Also that rubber cup support in the passanger side lower door compartment as in the drivers side.

Quick Reply: Hey there Dodge, you's ah lissen ???