4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlamps starting to pulsate.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012 | 03:00 AM
bluedodgeram
|
Rookie
Default Headlamps starting to pulsate.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has crossed this issue with their vehicle? I was at the drive through at Tim Hortons early in the morning to grab a coffee before work, it was still pretty dark outside, but noticed the headlights only started to pulsate, then would stay at a constant brightness, then pulsate, as if my voltage regulator was starting to go. But only the headlights, not the exterior markers/signal lamps, or the interior instrument lamps on the dash. WTF.

Old 09-25-2012 | 01:09 PM
12Sport
Professional

Did you notice this before or after you had your Timmy?

Old 09-26-2012 | 03:26 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bluedodgeram
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has crossed this issue with their vehicle? I was at the drive through at Tim Hortons early in the morning to grab a coffee before work, it was still pretty dark outside, but noticed the headlights only started to pulsate, then would stay at a constant brightness, then pulsate, as if my voltage regulator was starting to go. But only the headlights, not the exterior markers/signal lamps, or the interior instrument lamps on the dash. WTF.
Blue,

I haven't come across any headlight issues like this with the 2011's. I find it strange that it was just the headlights and not any other exterior lights. Has the problem continued or was it just this one time? I would recommend contacting your Dodge dealer and speak with the service department.

If you'd like to PM me your VIN #, I can review your warranty coverage with you and help book an appointment to have the vehicle diagnosed.

Old 09-27-2012 | 12:05 AM
bluedodgeram
|
Rookie
Talking

Hi Katie, it's nice to see that you guy's care about your customers, I really appreciate that. The pulsating of the headlights is usually after I get to my destination, when I am parked, you can see the headlamps pulsate, when they are shinning up against a wall. I have the headlamp switch on the auto setting, but I've turned my headlamps on manually also, no difference, pulsating is still there. It is quite annoying, hopefully there is a fix, the pulsating sometimes isn't that bad, but sure is noticeable, also does not change with engine RPM.

Last edited by bluedodgeram; 09-27-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2012 | 09:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Do you happen to have HIDs installed? If so, this is typical and resistors are needed to draw more current because the TIPM will think you have a burnt out light if not dur to lower current draw from HIDs.

If not, is it possible that one of your bulbs has a cracked filament? When the bulbs heat up, the metal inside expands and changes form. The resistance of the bulb goes up as well, so this can change the amount of current draw. A cracked filament just prior to being burnt out will not draw as much current and therefore the TIPM thinks your bulb is burnt out or not connected and will pulse the circuit. I would say that could be the only cause that would pulsate and keep your dash lamp out warning light off. I believe the Lamp-out warning comes on after 256x's of the tipm pulsating in one shot and reading no current. You prob have a DTC set for low current if so. A basic $30 scan tool I don't believe read the DTC's, you need a nicer one to read them as they are vehicle specific.

*TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module)

Old 09-27-2012 | 11:25 AM
bluedodgeram
|
Rookie

Thank you for the replies, it is all factory, no HID installed, it is an awkward issue, I noticed that if the truck is idling longer period of time at night, the pulsating/surging of the headlamps become more noticable.

Old 09-27-2012 | 01:30 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

Well I guess we can rule out eating wild mushrooms, or over-caffinated coffee. Issues like these can really make you crazy, and the sad part is it is probably something simple like a voltage regulator or bad alternator or something simple and stupid.

Old 09-27-2012 | 01:42 PM
bluedodgeram
|
Rookie

I tried a scan tool also, but no codes at all.

Old 09-27-2012 | 07:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

I'd just change the bulbs and see if it continue's. It's a cheap enough thing to do and you can just keep the old one's for spare's.

Old 09-27-2012 | 08:21 PM
bluedodgeram
|
Rookie

Very true, will try that if need be.

Quick Reply: Headlamps starting to pulsate.