4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

11.3V at headlight pins but not lighting up

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WNDERR
Yes you can pass voltage, but not enuf amperage to make something work. I've seen it more than once, no matter what the theory says. The small bulb, only glowing is an easy test.
Well, I don't think so. I have a BSEE from a very good university plus lots of extra schooling and training and 32 years in the industry. The only way to light a bulb is to have voltage on one side and a return on the other.

Another thing that I'm thinking about here is that 11.3 volts is too low, should be reading over 12V and if the engine is running higher than that.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 10-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
WNDERR
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Well, I don't think so. I have a BSEE from a very good university plus lots of extra schooling and training and 32 years in the industry. The only way to light a bulb is to have voltage on one side and a return on the other.

Another thing that I'm thinking about here is that 11.3 volts is too low, should be reading over 12V and if the engine is running higher than that.
I'm not disputing that. What I said, was that it is possible to pass 12V without passing enuf amperage to get the intended job done...... I've seen it many times, especially when a bad relay is involved. Using a small bulb is easier to see it happening, than using a large user. This from my 50+ years working on mechanical and electrical problems.............

Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM
dmblfi357

So i placed an alligator clip on pin 1 of c4 tipm. Turned lights off and checked continuity to battery ground. Nothing. Turned the lights on and ran the same test. No continuity again

At this point seems like the tipm to me. If i buy one and install it myself will it work out of the box? Will newly installed module let me drive vehicle to dealership so they can program afterwards?

Ps pedro dog. I have. BSEE also

Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dmblfi357
So i placed an alligator clip on pin 1 of c4 tipm. Turned lights off and checked continuity to battery ground. Nothing. Turned the lights on and ran the same test. No continuity again

At this point seems like the tipm to me. If i buy one and install it myself will it work out of the box? Will newly installed module let me drive vehicle to dealership so they can program afterwards?

Ps pedro dog. I have. BSEE also
Allright! then you don't really need any help with this. By the way, I have the service manual for the '09 Ram and I tried tracing the schematics to see if they show relays for the controls but the manual only shows the 3 wires from the TIPM to the bulbs. Inside the TIPM drawing, the signal just go into a box that says "electronics" but no additional schematic. I am going by the assumption that it is a switched ground discrete that controls the bulb, but if that is the case, and there is a shared return for the High and Low beams, then the supply to the High and Low beams also have to be controlled or both will come on when you switch the return to ground. I'm thinking that maybe FETS are used to supply the voltage and currents.

The control circuit for the bulbs is fairly complicated as it goes from the switch to the ignition module and some additional circuitry before the TIPM get the command to turn the lights on. I would let the dealer troubleshoot it down. If you don't have the service manual, PM me and I can point you to where you can download it for free. It needs to be on a PC with IE.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 PM
dmblfi357

I was able to find a download of the manual. Thanks. J was having the same problem where i could trace wires back to black box(tipm) but cant see how circuits controlled.

I am still curious if a i install a tipm myself and car will work prior to programming? I just bought one from a salvage yard up north for a 1/4the price

Old 04-19-2019, 02:56 PM
SAG
Default Similar headlight issue

Let me know if tipm works. I am dealing with exact same issue on 2016 Ram. Both high and low beam won't work on one side. I have replaced headlight harness even though it didn't look bad.
I am thinking TIPM

Old 04-21-2019, 11:05 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SAG
Let me know if tipm works. I am dealing with exact same issue on 2016 Ram. Both high and low beam won't work on one side. I have replaced headlight harness even though it didn't look bad.
I am thinking TIPM
Does this mean you've also done the exact same tests suggested above (voltage and resistance [ohm] measurements)? If not, please check for voltage to the headlight connector and check for resistance between the source and headlight connector and post back with your findings. Or if you're unsure where to take the measurements, post back with such questions.

-Rod

Old 04-21-2019, 01:20 PM
SAG
Default Tests.

I have not done all the tests as of yet. It seemed to me would be a very high odds situation that I developed a short while changing a stock bulb to an LED.
As a result I only checked pin connectors and headlight harness as these are known issues with Ram truck. Haven't had time to pull tipm and check continuity to connectors. Need to get a wiring diagram and try that next.
Have been communicating with a friend who is a 24 year Dodge mechanic, he also believes it is wiring harness.
Will let you know when we get it checked out.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

A "short" would result in a blown fuse and possibly some burned wiring. You didn't originally mention that you just changed the stock bulbs for LEDs. An open though seems more likely, such as a connection that did not get correctly made when you changed the bulbs, a corroded connection that now broke due to being disturbed, or possibly the wrong type of LED bulb. Let us know when you've had a chance to perform some diagnostics and/or figure out what the issue is.

-Rod

Old 04-23-2019, 01:43 PM
SAG
Default tests

What I have done is try two different bulbs (new) including the old bulb which worked originally. Here is a weird one for you, i noticed now (as my passenger front blinker works intermittently according to flashing speed) that when I use that blinker my headlight blinks? And when i start ram with headlights on my running light is on for the passenger side. Almost like the wires are switched which are in totally different harnesses. I am still thinking TPM or since ground activated I have a grounding issue.

Quick Reply: 11.3V at headlight pins but not lighting up