4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID's w/ TPMS problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM
RB04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's w/ TPMS problem

First, I've searched for existing post about this and came up with nothing to very little tips. So just bare with me on this...I've done research.

I purchased the Nightvision 35W 6k set from JJ at Retroshop. Installed the kit last weekend and besides having some minor headlight removal issues the install was surprising simple. Retroshop sells a great kit and has world class customer service! Anyhow, the HID’s work as advertised and I’m very pleased with product. However since the install my TPMS light has been coming on. I contact Jeremy through email asking him suggestions on a fix. Practically all week him and I have been troubleshooting the problem and cannot get it worked out. We’ve pulled the inline fuse and the TPMS light still comes on even with no power to the ballast, the TPMS light comes on during the day when the HID’s are off. Yes, I’ve checked all tires and even spare tire with a manual gauge and all are in proper PSI range. My ballast are zip tied to the support arm that is directly behind the headlight housing well. I never had an issue with the TPMS light until after the HID install. This weekend I’ll be pulling the housings out again to recheck all the work, but do you guys have any suggestions?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This may sound crazy but, wrap the ballasts with aluminum foil and drive around for a couple of miles to see if the TPMS light goes out.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Wrapping them and repositioning them should help.
This problem doesn't always arise as it depends on the location and model of ballast used.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is most likely caused by the ballasts, you're correct. It is just electrical interference. Can you reset TPMS on these things or is it self-adjusting?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM
RB04

I've see the other post about wrapping them in foil....how much does that really work? Seems a little strange, but I'll give it a shot. I going to tackle this again tonight. Where do you all suggest the ballast should be mounted? I watched a youtube video yesterday and this guy mounted both on his fuse box. This kit doesn't have long enough wires for that setup.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04
I've see the other post about wrapping them in foil....how much does that really work?
What happens is that the ballasts emit radiation (EMI, ElectroMagnetic Interference) that interferes with the TPMS frequency or path. The foil basically redirects and mutes some of the emissions away from the TPMS frequency and or it's path from the senders to the receiver. If the foil works, then it proves that you need to relocate the ballasts

Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM
RB04

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
What happens is that the ballasts emit radiation (EMI, ElectroMagnetic Interference) that interferes with the TPMS frequency or path. The foil basically redirects and mutes some of the emissions away from the TPMS frequency and or it's path from the senders to the receiver. If the foil works, then it proves that you need to relocate the ballasts
Well it makes sense when you put it like that... . I'll give this a shot later today when I get home.

If I need to move the ballast, where has everyone else been putting them?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would not do it if he pulled the fuse...No power to the ballast=no EMI. (not trying to act smart)

But what could have happened is the first few times the HIDs turned on, it could have screwed it up. Electronics are a funny thing, and its so bad that even the littlest EMI could screw it all up. Not to mention if things are changed with resistances it could harm them as well. Did you install resistors when you put your HIDs in? I know they are not unnecessary but to me they are just a precaution. I know OHMS law, and what happens to a circuit if the resistance drops to nothing. To me its making sure that the computer is always going to read the lights as if there are regular bulbs in.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? I know its an easy thing, but sometimes just a simple reset of the computer is enough to make it work. The computer relearns all the values, and perhaps what its done is after the HID install it is reading incorrect values, or the values are off, throwing the computer off.

Its all just a thought, but I imagine if the fuse is pulled and the light still comes on, it could be a bigger problem then expected...

Quick Reply: HID's w/ TPMS problem