4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Replace side mirror and housing 2010 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:34 PM
rsetzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace side mirror and housing 2010 Ram 1500

I caught the passenger side mirror on side of the garage and a piece of the mirror housing broke off. I'm unable to determine whether I need to remove the entire door panel to remove the mirror. There seems to be a separate plastic cover for that area at the upper left of the inside door panel, but I can find no info via searches whether that can be removed independently to access the screws and wire harness for the mirror.

A number of good how to videos can be found on youtube, but they do not cover 1500's later than 08, and in those you can clearly tell the door panel is one piece covering everything.

Looking therefore for the proper procedure to follow for 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 passenger side mirror assembly removal and replacement.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to remove the whole door panel. You can get to the bolts by just removing the corner cover but the electrical connections are inside the door.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 PM
rsetzer
Default Job accomplished

I replaced the mirror assembly and found the post listrd at the bottom to be a great help. It gives a step by step explanation with photos on removing the door panel. It "might" have been possible to disconnect the wire connection by just popping up the lock/window control and reaching in to the connectors. They are to the left as you look down into the hole. Mine had three plugs in a vertical formation and the lowest one was the mirror. Pulling the wire out may have been difficult as it was secured to a plastic tab with electrical tape. About an inch down from the top of the door panel and about aligned with the right side of the mirror (as you would be looking from inside the vehicle) I don't know if you could get your hand up there from that lock/window hole to work that loose.

All in all the job went smooth. After removing all the stuff listed in the post referenced below the panel came off using a lift and wiggle technique. I also discovered that the plastic part around the handle can be popped off. It made things easier putting the panel back on as it gave more wiggle room around the handle. If you want to remove it use the same technique as described for the lock/window part. Pry from the left side as the right side has longer teeth to secure the part.

Replacing the door panel was the most difficult mostly because you are having to go by guess and feel.

My car repair skill is novice and this job took about an hour.

Replace the * with ram forum (no space)
http://www.********.com/f75/how-remo...r-panels-8955/

Last edited by rsetzer; 10-20-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsetzer

Replacing the door panel was the most difficult mostly because you are having to go by guess and feel.
How so? It just drops down over the top lip of the door.

And yes, the plastic part behind the door handle should be removed.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
rsetzer

It just took a bit of wiggling it around to get things lined up so it would drop into the slots. Could not get things lined up right away. But after about 5 min it clicked into the slots.

Last edited by rsetzer; 10-20-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Replace side mirror and housing 2010 Ram 1500